HybridZ

anyone willing to fab bumper mounts for hbz?

COmputoman

I really need some bumper mounts to adapt skinny front and rear bumpers onto my 260. I tried fabbing some for the front, but failed.

here is a set for the rear

http://store.datsunspirit.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=67

Problem is. I dont want to spend 80 buckers for 2 small pieces of metal with holes, not to mention the front ones don't exist;-). I understand that fabbing parts takes time, but im sure if someone did a batch of these we could get them for less.

Unfortunately i dont have the expertise to create such a bracket. Which means im kind of at a loss until I can pay someone to make some.

PS I know the subject of how to create these has already been covered. Just checking to see if someone could make these availble to us. Also if this needs to be in the group buys forum please move it.

Thanks

Ben

Be carefull with thinking the Datsun Spirit brackets will bolt up right.

I bought the 240Z to 280Z rear bumper mounting brackets from Datsun Spirit. Technically, the brackets are for European 260Z/Japanese A-S30/S31 models. These brackets bolt to the mounting holes in the valance just like a 240Z bumper would. Unfortunately they don't exactly line up with the MSA bumper mounting brackets. I had to make new brackets for the MSA rear bumper. I used a Dremel to cut off the MSA brackets, found some steel at Home Depot in the decking bracket section the same thickness as the MSA ones, bent them in a Z shape at both ends and then glassed them in. The brackets are short enough so the bumper sits only about 1/2" from the rear valance panel. The 240Z mounting tabs on the bumper are too far forward to use unless you drill through the fender on the 280Z. Since the 280Z fender is a double wall fender/inner fender I decided to use the stock 280Z fender mounting nut which is about 8" toward the rear from the 240Z tab. The 280Z mounting nut does sit below the bumper a little but not much. I made new the fender mount side tabs and glassed them in after cutting out the 240Z tabs. I put a piece of 1/8" rubber under the tabs to protect the body. Even though the Datsun Spirit brackets didn't fit perfectly I'm glad I didn't attempt to make them. It could be done but would have been a major effort with the equipment I have. The MSA 240 bumper is supposed to be an early 240, I don't think the Datsun Spirit brackets were designed to fit the early 240 models. Rather than try to modify the Datsun Spirt bracket I made new bumper brackets, it was easier for me. BTW when I talked to Datsun Spirit last October he was almost out of those brackets so you might check with them before ordering.

The rear brackets were more of a problem than the fronts for me. I'd buy a pair of rears brackets that were bolt-on.

The fronts were easy for me. Basically, I gutted the 5mph bumper shocks on my 280Z, re-bolted the bracket/shock housing to the stock location, stuck an early bumper with the early brackets bolted to it (the brackets fit inside the cylindrical shock housings), and welded in place.

I did another conversion on a 280Z where I adapted aluminum bumpers from a Fiat X1/9 front and rear.......again, the rears were a bigger pain. Just removing the stock 5 mph shocks/brackets on the rear is more involved than the front. On the front, I cut down the Fiat bumper mount plate/shock inner cylinder, transfered that stump to the 280Z outer shock cylinder and weled it in place when I had it mocked-up. I scrapped that body but I still have the set-up and aluminum bumpers if anyone wants to buy it; shipping would be reasonable. I was never that pleased with the way I did the rear conversion, so you are on your own for that one, but I cut-down some '78 280Z side of bumper rubber trim boots to fit (basically, I removed a length of the bellows section). These bumpers are a ton lighter than 280Z stock bumpers, while retaining the rectangular profile of the '77-'78 bumper look and they don't stick out {disadvantage is that you can no longer set up a picnic lunch on the front and rear tables where the stock bumpers stick out}.

Either way, 240Z bumper conversion or Fiat X1/9 aluminum conversion, it was the rear mounting which was the bigger PITA.

DAW