HybridZ

HELP PLEASE!! trans crossmember

ok. i have searched and searched first off. i have a 76 280z im in the process of putting an ls1 and 4l60 in. i cut off the original trans mount ears in the tunnel just like it says, BUT my pan on my trans. is hitting the passenger side of the tunnel. and to get the trans lined up with the new crossmember from jci, it needs to go more to the passenger side. this would involve some hammer time. have yall had this trouble with the 4l60?or is there something wrong with my trans mount from jci?

IF any of you have a spare trans crossmember from jci around PLEASE lay it on the ground and measure how far the middle/bottom of the crossmember is from the ground. mine measured 1 3/4 inch from the ground. any help with this is really appreciated. its really holding me up.

In my '77 280Z I'm running a LT1 with a 4L60E and I had cut the complete stock tranny mounts, not just the ears. Plus I had to beat the tunnel quite a bit on the passenger side to clear the cooler lines.

The JTR trans mount sits up against the floor, no clue why your mount would be so low, that does not sound right.

ok. i have searched and searched first off. i have a 76 280z im in the process of putting an ls1 and 4l60 in. i cut off the original trans mount ears in the tunnel just like it says, BUT my pan on my trans. is hitting the passenger side of the tunnel. and to get the trans lined up with the new crossmember from jci, it needs to go more to the passenger side. this would involve some hammer time. have yall had this trouble with the 4l60?or is there something wrong with my trans mount from jci?

IF any of you have a spare trans crossmember from jci around PLEASE lay it on the ground and measure how far the middle/bottom of the crossmember is from the ground. mine measured 1 3/4 inch from the ground. any help with this is really appreciated. its really holding me up.

Good evening stevechode,

I received your pm. This is one of the photos I have of the transmission cross member from Johns Car. I did not used the nutserts that came with the kit. I went to Tractor supply and bought some high grade metric nuts and bolts to mount the crossmember to the frame. By the way, your car is looking fantastic !! I had a fleeting thought to re-do my engine bay !!! I just want to get it done now. I will look for some better angles to give you and idea.

ds-loop1.jpg

Yes, you need to remove more than just the ears on your 280Z. I had the same issue when I went to put in my trans mount on my '78 280Z. I had to remove a few inches of the actual bracing the ears mounted to on the passenger side of the tunnel. I didn't have any issues once that small part was removed and I left the rest of it in there. Hope that helps.