HybridZ

I need 1/2 shaft education

John Scott

Help! I'm trying to learn more about the availible Z 1/2 shaft styles. I have a R200 that my 180 1/2s bolted directly in. Four bolts flanges inner and outer, simple. I see the Cvs came in different styles, the turbo model preferable. What's the difference in the turbo model and what makes them a stronger design? Also wondering if all 200 rear stubs were all equipped with the four bolt mounts or otherwise? Lengths all similar?

JS

Geez, maybe this is too abvious? I guess I need to do some reading. I have a set of 1/2 sahfts at my driveline shop and seeing if a bolt in CV 1/2 shaft as well as a really stout u joint 1/2 shaft can be made for a reasonable fee. Just don't know how standardized the rR200s and stub axle mounts are.

JS

There are 3 kinds R200 CV half shafts that I am aware of: The 200SX units, which are waaay too long, the 300ZX half shafts, also waaay too long, and the 280ZX Turbo half shafts, which are only a little bit too long. (Oh, I guess there's also the 1988 300ZX turbo Limited shafts that go with the viscous diff).

The shafts from a 280ZX turbo don't require any modification. You can either use these with their corresponding companion flanges and 240Z stub axles (and a custom seal), or with 280Z stub axles, and Ross's adapters (standard seal). The latter is a better way to go because the Ross/Scottie custom flange is shorter than the ZXt flange. Plus, you don't gots to mess with seals.

• 2 weeks later...

To me this is a lot of mixin' & matchin'. Buying all those parts and then making them work together and then still needing a $1k limited slip... sigh

I just went ahead and got a complete '84 Corvette IRS instead. Got mine for $600 complete hub-to-hub with disk brakes and posi'. The axles are VERY beefy, they look more like short drive shafts than axles. Also, being mostly aluminum the whole thing is much lighter than the Datsun IRS and with a ton of places to get gears from, I think it will actually be a lot less hassle in the long run.

Originally posted by RickS:

and then still needing a $1k limited slip... sigh.....a lot less hassle in the long run

Maybe, how fast are you planning on going? Plenty of superfast open end rears out there. Way faster than I'll ever go with my soon to be 383. Thats the beauty of the irs.

I'm finding there is way more to this than just building a bolt in set. I'd guess that the ZXT cvs with the adapters are a good tried and true method for those of us with "moderate" 500 or so flywheel hp that don't want to build the rear suspension rock solid. I'd bet the Vette rear doesn't just bolt in, Right Scottie?

JS

Scottie,

no push here but you said documented??? do you have it up on the page? i really would like to see what it will take to get that in the rearend in the car. If its not on the web can you email me with it. although the 9 inch is on teh backburner still gathering info on the vette irs and jag irs.

thanks dude

hail.gifrockon.gif2thumbs.gif

The ZXt CV half shaft swap is really easy. Definately a bolt in DIY job.

You can do as I have done and just grab the companion flanges with the shafts, swap the dust shields over (they gots to be spot welded to the ZX flanges) and create your own seal. Or, and I don't think anyone has done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, get Ross's adapters, and weld your 240 companion flanges to them. Yes, the whole idea is to use those adapters with the 280stubs that have the 2 extra splines, but the bolt surface (rectangle) part is the same for 240 and 280 flanges, right?

Anyway, that eliminates the need for the seal voodoo, the dust shield swapping and gives you a sconch more room for the shafts (apparently the hybrid flange is shorte than the ZX flange). Plus, you could then have the option of getting rebuilt shafts from the local parts store (or carparts.com), and just pay the core, since you wouldn't have to worry about getting the ZXt flange.

I paid $125 for my shafts and the flanges, but I also got the rear calipers too. I think new shafts are like $90 plus core charge each. Took like one saturday to do the work.

"Or, and I don't think anyone has done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, get Ross's adapters, and weld your 240 companion flanges to them"

Yes, my adaptors work in the same fashion with 240Z companion flanges and a 240 set has already been done. To ensure a proper centering etc I sell all adaptors welded up to companion flanges (either purchased used ones or your own sent in) so my machinist can do them all with his aligning fixtures.