HybridZ

Brain Teaser on Head Designs

SHO-Z

I keep hearing about the L6 engine in the Z. Here are some brain teasers on types of head designs. This book was published in 1918. See how many you can figure out. They are all alphabet letters.

3986001tq2.jpg

Now here is one showing that maybe some of the new designs are not so new. Hemi dome roller cam dual ignition. The last one is the real brain teaser, what type of engine and who made it?

3987001dk0.jpg

Shall I start the guessing? The first one is unmistakably a T head. Next to it, on the right, is an L head design.

Bottom left would be an I head (the height of it), while bottom right is an F head engine.

Crazy some of what they were able to get away with back then. Straight six engines with three main bearings, super low compression ratios, pour in main bearings, and extremely low rpm limits to name a few.

No Guesses so here is the rest of the story.

The sleeve valve engine is a Willys Knight and was a V12. The overhead cam engine is a Miller race car engine built by Wisconsin. The only engines I have ever seen that were made by Wisconsin where big old single cylinder engines for generators and such. And they were not fun to start with and old rope starter!