HybridZ

Single turbo setup in the z finally running

well the twin turbo setup fell through and ended up going with a single. The car put out some amazing numbers at the dyno. It seemed to be the perfect combo of parts. So far is has an aeromotive a 1000 pump with -10 an fuel in and -8 an out aeromotive boost referenced fpr, Modded blow through demon 750, Holley street strip intake plumbed for direct port (175 shot) my excuse to use it is to cool the boost although i have a huge intercooler. :mrgreen: Lt1 t56 tranny with spec stage 3 clutch, Lsd rear with 3.7 gears, the list goes on and on but the numbers of the spray on 18 psi The turbo was maxed out i need a bigger one! 638 rwhp 720 rwtq ohh yeah did i mention i got this motor for 350$ 3 years ago and have been running the absolute piss out of it on spray in this car up until now. So far what i know about it is that it is a .30 over 350 with flat top pistons and a step above the rv cam. Stock 194 heads with 1.5 roller rockers. But who knows i got it from some guy with a mullet in a trailer park. Well actually got a 1984 trans am running and driving with a t5 for 350$. Im a newb at this so take it easy. By the way if anyone has a good sized t4 turbo i might want it let me know.

1004081451a_thumb.jpg

0920081432_thumb.jpg

0920081642_thumb.jpg

0926081356_thumb.jpg

1004081451_thumb.jpg

1004081459a_thumb.jpg

1004081457_thumb.jpg

SSAC headers?

The only critque or suggestion I have is to add a flex coupling to the Y-pipe. The passenger side looks to have plenty of space for it. the reason for this is the expansion and contraction of the headers and Y-pipe with the heating and cooling that will happen.

Looks like it will be fun.

Absolutely bad ass, I am doing an identical setup to what you have right now. I just bought a set of the autochrome headers off ebay the other night and go them for realy cheap. Did you have to modify them at all to get them to fit? Are you using a afr meter? Definently would like to see some more pictures.

James

No afr meter the carb came off my buddies 396 big block and no jets were changed so it runs pig rich all the time. Much more to be had when i take it out and tune it im just trying to get my 3000gt back together right now because its faster! well the flex tubing cannot be used due to the turbo being heavy as hell and The turbo is a he1 holset that i got for 75$. I have an extra blow through holley carb that i need to get rid off. It came off my friends mustang and sat for a year, Now it wont idle but runs somewhat descent. Ill get some more pics just gotta get a digi cam. The current pics were taken with my cell phone that is why the quality is so poor. Those are the cheapy xspower headers i got from my buddy for dirt cheap, they fit just fine with no mods just had to bash in the strut tower tunnel area on the pass side for proper clearance and built everything else out of stuff around my garage that i have collected over the years. The car hits full boost by 3100 rpm and from there on its just keep correcting the steering wheel because it will not go straight up until around 130. Its sitting on 235 50 14's bfg radial ta's and those are the best street tires i have found for it yet. So far over 6 grand invested in the whole car im kinda pissed but o well its fun.

A flex coupling can be used, you just need to add and should add, even now, a support bracket between the engine itself and the turbine/turbine inlet flange. With the set-up you have now, you will find that the tubing will bend and sag over time, maybe not much time. The weight of the turbo and the heating of the pipes cause this.

yea well thats on a to do list. If anyone is interested i think i might wanna get rid of that cross over pipe i want to build another one to relocate the new turbo that i got. This one also has a t4 flange and my new one will need a t3 turbo flange so a new one will have to be built regardless. Turbo is up for grabs as well but i would recommend a rebuild. This will work with the ebay ssautochrome headers. Let me know if anyone is interested.

No afr meter the carb came off my buddies 396 big block and no jets were changed so it runs pig rich all the time. Much more to be had when i take it out and tune it im just trying to get my 3000gt back together right now because its faster! well the flex tubing cannot be used due to the turbo being heavy as hell and The turbo is a he1 holset that i got for 75$. I have an extra blow through holley carb that i need to get rid off. It came off my friends mustang and sat for a year, Now it wont idle but runs somewhat descent. Ill get some more pics just gotta get a digi cam. The current pics were taken with my cell phone that is why the quality is so poor. Those are the cheapy xspower headers i got from my buddy for dirt cheap, they fit just fine with no mods just had to bash in the strut tower tunnel area on the pass side for proper clearance and built everything else out of stuff around my garage that i have collected over the years. The car hits full boost by 3100 rpm and from there on its just keep correcting the steering wheel because it will not go straight up until around 130. Its sitting on 235 50 14's bfg radial ta's and those are the best street tires i have found for it yet. So far over 6 grand invested in the whole car im kinda pissed but o well its fun.

SWEET, is your tubo them same as a whe1? I am working on a tt setup also with the same headers. Would like to see more pictures. Thanks Jerry

I think the difference between those turbo's are that one is internally waste gated and one is external. I don't think i mentioned that everything fit under the stock hood with 3 inches of clearance between the bonnet and the hood which is the tightest spot. By looking at my car from the outside nobody would ever know whats up. I love it when im up at a parking lot on a saturday night with all these people who are bragging about their cars parked accross 4 parking spaces and the cops roll up for noise complaints and drive right past my car and over to the honda civic with a coffee can.... Ohh and jerry if you do the twin turbo setup i had mine completely mocked up in another car the turbo exhaust was exiting right out of the fender wells and would have left a ton of room inside of the engine bay. Downside to my setup is that i was running Chinese turbos that i lent to a buddy who ran them without restrictor plates and blew the oil seals. The single turbo setup looks much cleaner under the hood due to less piping and was still super simple to build. I used a chop saw, sawzall , drill and arc welder (buzz box). pretty much everything that someone has access to in any garage.

Looks like you know what you're doing.

Congratulations on another sleeper Z.

Since your turbo is mounted low, do you have an electric pump to pump the oil back into the oil pan?

Since you have room under the hood, a better carb hat would provide more airflow. I originally examined the hat you have and thought it was too restrictive. But you are making plenty of power!!!

Looks like you know what you're doing.

Congratulations on another sleeper Z.

Since your turbo is mounted low, do you have an electric pump to pump the oil back into the oil pan?

Since you have room under the hood, a better carb hat would provide more airflow. I originally examined the hat you have and thought it was too restrictive. But you are making plenty of power!!!

Well i have a csu carb hat but i have spent over 5 hours on porting the inside of this one. I thought that it was pretty restrictive myself but it could be opened up alot since it is pretty thick. With the csu carb hat with my rubber motor mounts the bolt that holds the hat down tends to bump the hood so i just went with this one. The oil pump issue was never brought up until i had it all together and then i realized that the turbo was too low. BIG MISTAKE! But i had an oil pump laying around from my old rear mount turbo setup of my 94 camaro and i just slipped that right in and now everything is golden. I will remove it as soon as i build a new cross over piece.