HybridZ

Modded steering shaft.

EMWHYR0HEN

I modded my steering shaft to clear my new engine mounts. I just wanted some assurance that the job I did is legit since these components play a crutial role in the steering and because I've never done this before.

I re-used the stock U-joint at the rack and the slpine where the coupler is located. I'm using a 3/4'' U-joint with weld on ends and 3/4'' OD x .120 DOM round tube. The support bearing is 3/4'' and I made the bearing holder out of 1/8'' plate which is welded to the frame but is removable with 2 x 8mm bolts. I also got rid of the stock urethane coupler for a more direct feel.

All the peices were pre heated first and then welded with my 110V mig.

IMG_21111.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_21301.JPG

IMG_21331.JPG

IMG_21371.JPG

IMG_21351.JPG

You're a freaking machine. Stop doing stuff, honestly, you're making the rest of us look bad, or in some of our cases, worse.

On topic, I'm confused why you made it extend forwards so far. It looks like it clears the engine mount by miles now, but the angulation on the u-joint along side the mount (on top of the rail) looks quite high. Did you do that to clear the planned headers or?

I'm sorry I have nothing useful to contribute.

Dave

the angulation on the u-joint along side the mount (on top of the rail) looks quite high. Did you do that to clear the planned headers or?

Dave

That's exactly why. I tried to get as much clearence without exceding the u-joint manufacturers 30 degree angle limit.

Nothing Binds and it spins smoothly.

It looks pretty good to me (disclaimer...I am not an engineer, but I have serious steering mods on my z too)

IF it runs smoothly turn to turn, make sure you try it with the wheels on the ground. This will give you some extra resistance, that may help you "feel" for irregularites in the smoothness, and will offer resistance to make sure that the extra effort used to steer, does not make the geometry shift.

Sorry, not much to add, Just thinking safety first.

Scott.

It looks pretty good to me (disclaimer...I am not an engineer, but I have serious steering mods on my z too)

IF it runs smoothly turn to turn, make sure you try it with the wheels on the ground. This will give you some extra resistance, that may help you "feel" for irregularites in the smoothness, and will offer resistance to make sure that the extra effort used to steer, does not make the geometry shift.

Sorry, not much to add, Just thinking safety first.

Scott.

That's great advise I'll have to do that. Thanks Scott.

Another thought that just occurred to me, is that when there is resistance (like you're in a ~1G turn and having to apply a fair bit of torque to the steering wheel to hold it steady) that maybe that vertically mounted rod end will end up wobbling from side to side?

Something to do might be to lock the wheel in one position, somehow, then try to turn the steering wheel and get someone to observe how much (if at all) it flexes. I'm not trying to be a downer, but safety first. It might prove necessary to get a weld-in rod end and fabricate a small box that goes between the frame rail and the strut tower.

Dave

Looks great to me! It looks like we used the same U-Joint too! I went a little different with mine as I already had holes drilled for Alsil's X-Member. Additionally after doing some math, I realized the stock shaft was pretty much the perfect length once cut and welded tot he new U-Jooint. Consequently I just reused the stock shaft to save work rewelding at the rack joint. We used an oil impregnated bushing to bump the OD of the shaft up at the rod end, it is keyed to prevent motion of the shaft up and down its axis.

n3231777_33296382_3046.jpg

n3231777_33296381_2540.jpg

n3231777_33293746_8926.jpg

n3231777_33293747_9234.jpg

I think you may be misunderstanding the term bump steer. Steering wheel input has noting to do with bump steer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

Also, it looks to me like there is a rag joint in the first photo on the previous post. Though I could be mistaken.

heres a question that i have. the last poster did it, but why didnt the op use a rag joint? for what i remember, that joint reduces alot of bumpiness and decreases the amount of bumpsteer.

thats just from what i learned from wyotech.

more info?

Lloyd

I do not know what a rag joint is. I have deduced that you are talking about the rubber, urethane, or ABS coupler that is usually situated between the steering column and the start for the steering shaft. Mine is urethane and it is there so I do not turn my arms into goo. I assume the OP removed his because he is racing on relatively smooth surfaces and wants that much more steering feel.

Is this what you are talking about?

ya, that steering coupler is what is called a rag joint. the op doesnt have one, thats why im asking about it. since you mentioned that he races, that makes sense. you dont need a coupler when racing. that would suck DD the car without one though.

im thinking about converting mine from a rag-joint type to a modern double u joint.

Lloyd

I think it is important to understand that the couple/rag joint call it as you will, does not change the rotational axis at all. That is to say, it is merely inline... it does not need to be a double U-Joint because there is no axial changes through the coupler as is. It merely soaks up inline vibrations.

ya, that steering coupler is what is called a rag joint. the op doesnt have one, thats why im asking about it. since you mentioned that he races, that makes sense. you dont need a coupler when racing. that would suck DD the car without one though.

im thinking about converting mine from a rag-joint type to a modern double u joint.

Lloyd

I originally had a plastic coupler but I removed it since I was re doing my shaft and more peace of mind. With a urethane or rubber coupler you loose a little steering response/feedback but I don't see how mounting it solid is any different than a plastic/metal coupller.

i'm curious what you were told at wyotech about the function of a stock rubber steering coupler.

Yeah wouldnt a flexible steering coupler bushing only "absorb" the quite frequent bump or jar of the steering system. Instead of the steering wheel jerking a little in either direction the coupler just stretches/twists alittle, leaving the steering wheel in one position? (optimumly)