HybridZ

For all you Budget RB-Zer's

jakeoster

Ive been following this thread for some time and need to speak up......I cant help thinking that this is penny wise pound foolish. An old hard to get rad of suspect condition that will probably need to get recored.......

I purchased a new ebay cross flow unit for under $300....shipped from Wisconsin Width was perfect, depth was 1" too much so its hanging under the front cross rail....no problem. THe car has never for an instant come close to over heating....even on the hotest day in the worst traffic.

I look at it this way...why spend $3000 or more on a RB install and then cut corners on the cooling system.

If you want the OEM look then paint the puppy black.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been following this thread for some time and need to speak up......I cant help thinking that this is penny wise pound foolish. An old hard to get rad of suspect condition that will probably need to get recored.......

Well put. This is very true. I was following this thread and knew of the cars in the wrecking yard. It was cheap enough that it would not be a waste of money if I bought it and it wasnt going to work. It has sufficient cooling in good shape. Most likely you will find this radiator in a beat up car and in the same shape as the quote above. It would not be worth the time. To get this radiator in reconditioned shape is about 200USD so not worth it.

So anyone looking at this thread should be well aware of the situation. I have plans to change the radiator later as I have stated before to something better when the time comes.

More than one person has put a new engine in a junk-heap of a car only for the transmission to let go the next day. At which point the dump the whole car and some lucky scavenger finds it and gets a real deal. I have been that lucky scavenger at least once.

I've heard, but don't quote me, that an early Mustang radiator (289) fits into a 240z.

There is nothing "thick" about the stock 240z radiator, it's just two cores. We would have sent ours out to the Local Radiator Shop, but it has closed down. The others wanted to much to re-core the old, so we bought a new ALL BRASS 3-core, from MSA http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT about $230

Keeping the engine cool is one place you can't be cheap. Hot engines will wear out real fast. A good radiator costs a lot less than a cheap motor and is a lot easier to replace. If you drive hard, like most of us do, you're producing more heat, for longer periods of time, than the manufacture intended on. Keep it cool, or you will be inviting trouble.

Different parts suit different people. An autocross racer or drag racer should think twice about using a radiator like this. Im using this car as a daily driver to get to school and back and a little bit in between. If I sat around and saved up for every custom part that would make my car bulletproof then I would never finish it. I want get to driving this thing soon. When you know your car does not have the best then you drive it accordingly and I plan to do so. Not everyone on this forum has the capital to buy all brand new parts that are fit for racing. Some say I may be taking my chances but it looks to me that it is up to the job. I never reccomended this radiator to anyone I was just showing you guys one of the few off the shelf radiators that actually fit. Ill update on how the radiator is when I get my car running.

My RB25DE NEO project will be a street driver in the New England, so I am not so worried about overheating. For $50, I got a nice clean used radiator. If I have problems with it, I'll find another one, or go aftermarket.

In my road racer I have only run USED radiators, and have never had overheating problems. Once season I ran a 2 core 240Z radiator! It makes about the same power as the RB25DE I'm putting in my street car project, and I'm certainly not going to push my street car anywhere near as hard as my road racer.

Yea, if I were going bonkers with a 400HP RB build, I'd be putting a lot more into the cooling system.

Pete