HybridZ

For all you Budget RB-Zer's

jakeoster

This may be known information, but while I was at the junk yard I came across a Datsun which had a radiator thats perfect for an RB swap into an S30 chassis. The radiators bolt pattern is nearly identical to the bolt pattern on the Z and the fan shroud fits nicely. Its a nice thick radiator much like the ones that came with the Z. I believe the car was a Datsun 210 but Im not 100% sure. Its an inline 4 fuel injected "Z" engine. I pulled the raditor and fan shroud to use on my project. It cost me a measly $30 as opposed to the $400 ones made for the swap. Ill post pictures of it in the car soon.

DSCN2285.jpg

DSCN2286.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bro what are you doing! The radiator is the most important part of the motor. It keeps it cool. I'm not sure if that old radiator will still be in good enough condition internally to keep up it's end of the bargain. Look on ebay for a cx racing radiator. About 150-200 for the radiator. They have some that might do the job.

I pressure tested it and it works fine. It's all a 3 pass so it should be enough capacity wise. The problem with the s30 chassis is that it's sort of has a one off radiator that fits most others areto wide. So to get one that fits in the z and has the inlets and outlets on one side is a "custom" expensive affair. It's in great condition just a little rusty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__CXRacing-Radiator-SKYLINE-89-93-MANUAL-ENGINE-ALUMINUM_W0QQitemZ230298005593QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230298005593&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_4959wt_0

jake check the dimensions. Also, if you send them the dimensions you would like i'm sure they have something that would fit. You'd just have to make some little brackets to hold it in. some 1/8-1/4 steel with some bolts and nuts or welded in spot will do the trick. PLEASE DO NOT USE THAT RADIATOR. This is the radiator i'm currently using in my s13 chasis. it's a little tall but it fits nicely and had taken care of my overheating probs with my rb25 as well as an external oil cooler.

My rb25det was budget. Most of my stuff is from ebay and i don't regret it. Some new and some used.

This may be known information, but while I was at the junk yard I came across a Datsun which had a radiator thats perfect for an RB swap into an S30 chassis. The radiators bolt pattern is nearly identical to the bolt pattern on the Z and the fan shroud fits nicely. Its a nice thick radiator much like the ones that came with the Z. I believe the car was a Datsun 210 but Im not 100% sure. Its an inline 4 fuel injected "Z" engine.

Jakeoster well done I think this is a great find and great info for the site!!

IMO anything that can be used that is standard and fits is by far the best option. It makes the swap more in keeping using original Nissan parts where possible and simpler in getting hoses etc rather than routing the hoses from right to left as most people seem to do. Regards the condition of the radiator, any radiator can be rebuilt and reconditioned, that is how the majority of radiators in the past have been maintained. Admittedly now with aluminium radiators available cheaply from China, it is often cheaper than reconditioning an old one, and of course they are lighter. However aluminium radiators have down sides with vibration fractures, inability to repair etc. I have found no aluminium radiators with the right sided outlets and the right size to fit in the width of the Z. They are either too wide (RB26 one) or two narrow which I'm not happy with or have the outlet on the left side. I have twice now ordered a specially designed radiator to fit correctly to the Z radiator size and with the outlets on the rhs. So far they have stuffed it up, so quality of manufacture from China is poor and frustrating. So in summary I think this radiator is a great find by Jakeoster and should be added to the resource material on this site.

i agree with mike. this is just another option. If someone has a stock pile of B210 radiators somewhere on planet earth, and one of the people that know him has an RB Z and frequents this forum, it could be possible to retain the stock look and have an RB that is unsuspecting and might be right for someone's taste.

hey, it COULD happen!

It's just more "valid" information. so there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Just remembered - for those in NZ or Australia with access to Holden parts - the VL Commodore (which had the Nissan RB30 motor) radiator and the V8 Commodore radiator have been used with the RB motor implant. You do however have to modify very slightly the chassis rail.

Again the radiator identified by Jakeoster is a better option if it fits well between the rails

jakeoster,

Thanks for the tip. I'm going for an OEM look on my RB25DE swap, and I don't like the idea of running the top hose across the front of the engine. Probably more than enough cooling capacity or the DE motors. I like the idea of using the stock fan too if the shroud will work.

Pete

Your welcome guys. I cleaned it up quite a bit and it turned out really nice. I have it hanging in the car right now on the oem hang hooks. I'll post some pictures soon. The holes on the 280z are off just a tad, you can get one side to bolt on directly but the other side is BEARLY off makes me want to tear my hair out. But you can very easily drill holes to fit it in the core support without any trouble. The 240z and 260z might fit perfectly, I do not know so I cant confirm it. Also that fan shroud I mentioned is a great fit. Im going to put an electric fan in it so that should work out. The whole shroud and radiator makes it look like the RB25 came stock in the Z, looks really clean

Please post the photos.

Also can you try as per my email, to find out what model car it is out of. The B210 in Australia was called a 120Y and only had an OHV 4 cylinder motor with single carby - it is obviously different to what you are talking about

If your on a budget, have your front motor mounts custom made so you can use your stock tranny mount which in turn will allow you to use your stock driveshaft :wink:

so ur sayin the rb25 trans rb26 motor combo will work with the stock d/s if u make new motor mounts?

that would be awesome cuz i have a aluminum d/s and im pullin out MY built l28et for a rb or 2j swap. that would save a decent amount of money too.

What i did for my radiator, which was really quite cheap- was use the original one! It had been recored prior to me owning it, so all i did was to get the local radiator repair shop to swap the top inlet pipe to the other end of the header tank. The guy did an awesome job, flushed the core, and repainted it, etc and all for $100 NZ. now thats only about $65 US! it fits, the fan shroud did have to be sculpted in a very minor way (3 minutes) to clear the top hose, and should perform as required for my rb25det.

What i did for my radiator, which was really quite cheap- was use the original one! It had been recored prior to me owning it, so all i did was to get the local radiator repair shop to swap the top inlet pipe to the other end of the header tank.

You are quite right, and that is the easiest and most obvious thing to do. Price was cheap though because it already had been cored etc. If you are starting with an old original radiator it can cost more like $500-600 as I found out with my 240Z. That is when the issue of whether to convert your original radiator or go to a newer model or brand new ali radiator etc, becomes a toss up.