HybridZ

Turbo timing

MaTTSuN

i was playing around with my timing yesterday with my megasquirt and found that dropping my timing down from 33-38ish to 30 across the board i picked up some hp i know being advanced is a good way to be safe with a turbo, i was wondering how low i should go befor i should expect problems

i have a stock 81 turbo with an intercooler and 3 inch exaust

what does the stock turbo run for timing?

Matt

are you talking about changing the initial admance or are you talking about changing the spark maps to a constant 30 degrees? reading through the megamanual section on timing and the ms posts in the megasquirt section should give an idea of where you maps should be to start

i know being advanced is a good way to be safe with a turbo

Actually, that's backwards. Retarded timing is safer, advancing it too far will cause detonation.

Our set-ups are fairly similar, go check the map sharing sticky at the top of the megasquirt forum, I've posted my timing maps there.

Idling smooth at 1 degree of timing?! Something is wrong. It should not idle at all at 1 degree, advanced or retarded. Idle should be between 20-28 advanced. I ramp up to 37 degrees advance max up to atmospheric pressure, and pull back to only 20 degrees advanced by 17psi. Go get some timing tables from the sharing thread after you confirm your ACTUAL timing with a timing light and the timing tool (trigger wizard) in Megatune.

hmm interesting. it likes "1 deg" at idle but maybe its not really 1deg? im pretty sure ive checked it with a light when i first set up the megasquirt. ill look at some maps and go from there. going to take the timing light out again maybe tomorrow

it still seams to fall on its face @ 5500 im starting to think its a timing thing

it should pull hard to 6000rpm...no?