HybridZ

Largest dia sidedraft carb?

PanzerAce

Does anyone know what the largest single throat sidedraft carbs are? It seems like it would be a way to make draw through turbos easier. (Yes, I know that most people don't like the draw through setup, but w/e).

I know that with dual throats there are 45's and 50's, but so far the only single throats that I've seen are 3X motorcycle carbs...

Actually Weber has had 55's out there for years, and the top horsepower guys use them. It was to that point on our Bonneville car, either Weber 55's, or for roughly the same cost, TWM ITB's...

Why not a single sidedraft into a common runner to the turbo? They used 45 Webers on Corvairs for years...they sucked because they can only flow so much fuel...but it was no different than mounting a 2" SU on there. Easier to tune as well.

With the availability of Four Barrel Downdraft adapters for turbos, for a drawthrough that is the simplest answer.

And the Availability of sidedraft adapters for DCOE Pattern Carbs makes the single throat setup kind ofa red-herring IMO.

In any case, outside of the four barrel, you will limit your horsepower capability to the level supported through fuel flow of the carburettor chosen.

Now, an EFI Throttle Body and three injectors in each barrel...that may be something different...then you may run into airflow limitations instead of fuel flow limitations.

BTW, they DO have a 63mm Custom SU available. It took me coaxing my son through my other laptop 7000 miles away (over the phone) to get the linkup, it's pretty cool, and was made for supercharged or turbo applications.

www.hi-flow.com/HPSU1.htm

Take a look, the dual float bowls would be a nice feature. I was looking into this setup for the 240 with the Crown Kit for a 'where'd ye git that carb, Maynard?' appeal during shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Largest I am aware of is a 58mm side draft made by Weber. The Dellorto Tech hand book stated that Dellorto made a 52mm carb but I think that is a miss print, I have done some research and haven't seen or heard of any that large. Largest Dellorto I seen is a 48mm DHLA. I do believe the largest SK is 50mm as well as Mikuni, don't know a lot about those two manufactures so I could be wrong.

Seen a set of 58's on a late sixties Formula 1 car in Sonoma, CA. at Sears Point Raceway, I think it was a Ford power plant (I could be wrong on that) and had two large air boxes (air scoops or whatever you kids call them today) on each side of the engine. Closest I have come to them. In any case it was one of those vintage race cars that show up at the Indy car races and entertain the crowd. You got to wander around the pits before and after the track time and look at the cars...the vintage cars not the Indy teams. Fun day!