HybridZ

Previous repair on head?

cockerstar

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to put my rebuilt l24 with an e31 back into my 240 and I noticed a repair done by the PO, who did the engine rebuild. It looks like he tried to do some soldering, but it didn't turn out so well. How would you guys address this?

I've attached a few pics for refrence :)

Thanks in advance!

head_thumb.JPG

squirter1_thumb.JPG

squirter2_thumb.JPG

yeah that looks like a botch repair job. I havent worked with Z's with squirter bars, so I dont know what material is used in the pieces. If its iron/steel, it can be brazed, but Im not sure about steel/aluminum...

Experience metallurgists should chime in, but I would get that repaired.

I'll pull the valve cover off of one of my parts cars and see if I have a replacement in good condition. My initial thoughts were to JB Weld it so I'll be going down that route of I don't already have a good one.

What kind of pressure do you think it will be seeing?

My build is going to be very mild - l24, flattops, header, 4-puck clutch, 4 screw round-tops with the possibility of going with webbers down the line. I'm going to be needing anything too heavy duty. ;)

That piece is a 'buy it new and don't think about it again'

The time it will take you to clean and repair it properly will exceed the cost of a new one! They're under $100. Probably closer to $50.

Last one I bought was $45, so figuring it went up in the last year or so...