HybridZ

no oil pressure on 83zx.

83zed owner

so long story short the car is a 1983 280zx n/a the owner i bought the car from told me that the water pump had broken in half,for some reason he also told that he had replaced the timing chain cover when me and my buddy went thru the car timing was way off so we covered that the car starts not for long the furl pump sounds like crap could it be the fuel pump? is that why is not getting oil pressure? someone please help thanks for your time.

Here's a link to a website that has a service manual online.

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

I'm afraid having the Prev. Owner do the kind of work you have described may only be rectified by going through the car one system at a time to verify it was correct. I wish I had a better answer, but hang in there.

The oil pressure gauges on these have been notorious for low pressure. The accuracy is more than questionable.

Most of the time it lets you know there is some oil circulating and thats about it. Mine only works when I'm going up a grade of 5% or more. (whats that about..) a replacement nissan sending unit is around $40.00 (ouch)

And that won't guarantee the gauge isn't faulty.

I honestly don't remember reading anywhere where an oil pump went bad, like flat gave out. Not that it can't happen..

I think you'll find most guys who have track/race/modded engines use a stock pump with modified springs and reliefs for either bypass,volume and or pressure.

There is tons of info on this site to sift through with great photo's and explanations.

Whew.. I didn't start out to be so long winded!

Best of luck, Persistance and Patience will pay-off.

Tuck o/

does the engine tick loudly like it has no oil pressure or is it just that the guage doesn't read any pressure?

The pressure sending unit goes bad far more often then the engine will actually loose pressure.

How long does it run before it dies? If its only for 3 seconds or less then you won't get good pressure that fast anyway.

And what timing was way off? the cam timing or the ignition timing?

does the engine tick loudly like it has no oil pressure or is it just that the guage doesn't read any pressure?

The pressure sending unit goes bad far more often then the engine will actually loose pressure.

How long does it run before it dies? If its only for 3 seconds or less then you won't get good pressure that fast anyway.

And what timing was way off? the cam timing or the ignition timing?

sorry didnt describe that good well really not any good ,but ignition timing was off he told me the car was running good before but like i said he took the cover off ,and after that the gauge says no oil pressure motor was ticking can't remember what we did but the car is not doing it anymore car dosen't stay on at all it dies as soon as i let go on the accelerator any ideas thanks for your time and help.

Just a note: my oil pressure gauge was intermittently not registering anything a while back. When it stopped showing anything at all, I cleaned off the sensor terminals and the harness plug, and now it registers faster than the tach.

Cleaning a sensor's connections, both electrical and ... sensory, should be one of the basic diagnostic steps.

Right side of the block, way down at the bottom toward the front. Right in front of the oil filter, actually. Should be a (large) rubber boot over the connection.

And, may I add, it's cold out there! :shock:

funny lol just wanted to make sure i was gonna clean the right one.