HybridZ

Auto to Manual

Guest Takasie

Guest Takasie

Right i am looking to buy a 280zx but all the ones i can find are auto and the manuals are beyond repair so i was wonder what it would take and if it was possible to convert a auto to manual and the things i would need to do so

Im bored so... : Start by putting in the guide bearing (is that what its called), You will need to bolt on the manual flywheel, put on the clutch and pressure plate, bolt on the manual tranny... either drivshaft can be used, modify the center console for the shifter, Bolt on either the brake and clutch pedals, or cut the brake pedal and bolt on the clutch pedal, Bolt on the clutch master cylinder hooking it up to the pedal (duh), Hook up all of the hardlines to the slave which will be bolted on to the tranny... Oh, and you will have to hook up a nuetral start switch ir just hook a pushbutton type thing from your starter.

The hardest part for me was the pedals cause it is a pain to get your arm into the places it needs to go to bolt those up.

If I forgot anything let me know, its been a bit sence Ive done this

It can be done need lots of parts so you need to find a 5 speed at the junkyard and get what you need like flywheel, clutch pedal, clutch master/slave cylinder, hydraulic line. Also sometime have trouble matching driveshaft. Search around I did a fair writeup when I did my 81 turbo. All the holes are there etc. only thing missing is the bracket for the clutch slave cylinder hydraulic line but you can live without it. Jump out the safety switches at the fuse block is easiest place to get to.

It can be done need lots of parts so you need to find a 5 speed at the junkyard and get what you need like flywheel, clutch pedal, clutch master/slave cylinder, hydraulic line. Also sometime have trouble matching driveshaft. Search around I did a fair writeup when I did my 81 turbo. All the holes are there etc. only thing missing is the bracket for the clutch slave cylinder hydraulic line but you can live without it. Jump out the safety switches at the fuse block is easiest place to get to.

There shouldnt be any trouble changing the driveshaft, you dont even need to unbolt the stock one.

trouble being the output spline of the slushbox is different (larger) than the the output spline of the manual. (this was an 81 Turbo) I found out when I put it in gear and nothing happened. Dummy I says how can you put a clutch in wrong. but the the tranny was just spinning inside and the drive shaft wasn't making contact with anything. Had to get a 5 speed driveshaft and input flange to the diffy to match for things to work. If talking about n/a slushbox to n/a 5 speed might not have that problem but something to think about when you convert.

Is your car turbo or n/a? If its a turbo and you are using a transmission from a n/a car, then you will need to order a special driveshaft. I lost the p/n but any good tranny shop should be able to help. Just remember if you use transmission from a n/a car then you will need the flywheele, starter, all the hyd lines the pedal assembly, and the center consol parts. It would be in your best intrest to order a new master and slave cylinder vice using an old one. Did my swap about a yr ago and it was my 1st. Pain in the a$$ for a newbe!! Good luck bro!

If you can find the correct input flange to the diffy you can use a stock driveshaft. One is square and one is round. Driveline NW in Everett quoted me $100 to cut my two stock ones in half and weld up one with the proper input and output pieces. Found the right input flange and saved that $100. Hey Oak harbor check out our z club zccw.org.