HybridZ

Engine bay paint

kcambron

I've been out of painting for several years. I'm going to have my 240 painted by a shop with dual stage paint, I'm thinking about doing my engine bay(myself) and jams with single stage. I am planning to spot paint rust in the engine bay with ZERORUST and shoot with single stage, do I need sandable primer after the Zerorust? Thanks for info! What brand -type of products?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

if its light rust all you need to do is hit it with some 180 grit and hit it with self-etching primer. you cen get self-etching primer at any auto store. after that, as long as the engine bay is sanded with 180 or 320, apply a very dry, dusted coat of paint onto the surface. this acts as an adhesive for the finish coats. within 3-5 mins. it should be tacky enough to apply your first wet coat. wait 7-10 mins. and apply another. continue until you like the look or run outta paint. also, i've found that when spraying single stage to keep a 50% overlap as you work your way down the panel.

I'm just a hobbyist, so caveat emptor. But I'd use epoxy instead of etching primer. Google it, there is a debate over the two products, but epoxy seems to be the stable choice for long term. And for the single stage, I'd use a urethane... not an enamel. I'd have pretty good luck spraying PPG Omni products.

If your underhood metal is in decent condition and you're spraying a light color, you could probably avoid a sandable primer and just topcoat the epoxy. With a darker color (which hilights defects), you might want to use some high build and sand it down before the SS.