HybridZ

R200 3.90 installed!

Guest kc6wfs

Guest kc6wfs

Finaly got a R200 3.90 (open) installed.

What a PITA. Went to a semi local JY and thanks to Tim240Z he called me at 7:00am

and he helped (well he pulled it!) for me. hehe Thanks Tim!!!!!!!!!!!

Took it around the block after my 7hr install. Had a few problems but nothing I could not figure out.

It's a hell of a lot quicker out of the hole!!!!

I'm now thinking of welding it. Tim hint.. hehe

Well thats what I did today..

Again thanks Tim!!!!

Dave

cheers.gifcheers.gif

I'm thinking of welding up my 3:90 gears and using them for the strip and occasional terrorization of the streets (instant drifts through any corner, any speed) and pick up an extra diff with 3:54s for the long haul. I think my 5speed will be less useful than I'd like with the 3:90s. If you do weld it up, let us know what it's like!! :D

Guest kc6wfs

Hi guys,

It was out of a 1981 280zx manual trans.

I printed a list of ratios out from Zhome and brought it with me.

Glad it's in there.

A PITA to do by yourself!!!!

Nion. If I weld it I'll let ya know how it turns out...

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey I welded the 3.90's in my R200, and run Nitto Extreme Drag radials, WOW!!!! it really hooks hard. It clunks during slow sharp turns and U-turns, but who cares? Poor mans limited slip.

Originally posted by fast240:

Hey I welded the 3.90's in my R200, and run Nitto Extreme Drag radials, WOW!!!! it really hooks hard. It clunks during slow sharp turns and U-turns, but who cares? Poor mans limited slip.

Also a very good way for a poor man to start busting stub axles. Upgrade your life insurance and enjoy!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input Katman. This setup has held up for 2 years of lead footed street/strip driving......but just incase.....I do have a really fat life insurance policy........wonder why the wife under the Z with hacksaw??????

hey what did you have to do to get the diff in singlehandedly. i had to use two jacks, then jack them both at the same until i could get the mustache bar bolts in, no fun i tell ya, i tried like seven different approaches, and i dont recommend trying to bench press it up either if youre going solo, straight pain.

Guest kc6wfs

To get the mustache bar in was the biggest pain!!!!

I had to use the jack on one end. the other end I had about 1" on.

But when you jack the end up the metal sleeve slides out when you jack it all the way up.

Then I grabbed a 1/2" deep socket and pounded the sleeve up then jacked up the other side and pounded it's sleeve up.

Major time consuming!!!!

Glad it's all done!!!!

Time to weld it!!

Major 1st+2nd gear burnouts with the 700R4, need way more traction!!!!!! rockon.gifrockon.gif

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Maybe I did mine the easy way? I put the mustache bar in first and then bolted the rear end to it. It took me only about an hour or so by myself. Of course I have been celibate for a few years now so I have alot of pent up anger to work with fmad.gif

i couldnt get it to bolt in to the mustache bar, i finally unbolted it, and then i bolted it to the mustache bar, then did the jack dance to it until i could seat it on the bar, then the rest was ok, took me about two hours, lots of screaming, and lots of scars.