HybridZ

sun/moon roof?

G-rib-73-240z

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I was thinking about putting a sun roof in my 1973 240z and I was wondering if anyone has ever done it. I was thinking one like off a Honda civic or something nothing electric or anything, just something simple and some what stylish. I was also wondering what everyone “thinks†about that idea, if it would look ugly/stupid, or nice/different. I wont have ac in my 240z, so I figured windows down and sunroof open, would keep me a little cooler. Besides all that what kind of strengthening would I need to do to help the roof take the extra weight of the sun roof?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

(friends call me either grib or gribble.)

I spent time & money to fix the stupid leaking hole in the roof the PO put in there. In my opinion, it ruins the car, but hey, do what you want with YOUR car. The Datsun's flimsy roof needs all the help it can get---a sun roof or moon roof won't help the car.

Get a ZX with T-tops instead.

Davy

ok, thats all i was wondering, thanks for the quick reply, i thought itd look nice but sounds more trouble then its worth. i dont know bout that zx idea, my room mate says they aint worth jack didly, he used one he got for 500 or something like that for his l28/5speed and r200 parts car.

thanks again for the quick reply

Thomas

i dont know bout that zx idea, my room mate says they aint worth jack didly

Ever heard the term "don't judge a book by it's cover" ? :D

Obviously people have different tastes on cars... but the ZX was an improvement over the S30 in many ways. If you found a clean S130 for a good deal, would you pass it up just because your roomie said "they ain't worth jack diddly" ?

My 77 came with a simple pop-up sunroof when I bought it years ago. Luckily it seems to have been put in professionally and I have not really had any issues with leaks. I know a lot of people on here despise them, but I have really enjoyed mine. It certainly made driving from Texas to California in the summer a hell of a lot more bearable without A/C. I just popped open the footwell vents and popped up the sunroof and I was able to roll up the windows and still get a nice breeze in to keep somewhat cool. I say as long as you get it done right, then go for it. It may not help the "value" of the car, but if you're trolling this site then you're probably not too worried about keeping the car original to maintain value.

I'm in the process of removing the sunroof from my '71 ;)

IMHO, it completely kills the lines of the car and sticks out as an eyesore. I have no idea if mine actually leaked or not, but I'm going to go with no because the seals looked good and were quite pliable when I unbolted the whole thing.

Like everyone has said, it's YOUR car so do what YOU want with it. I wanted a slick-top so I took mine out. If you want a moonroof, then by all means, put one in :)

:icon54: I have one of both, with and without. After going to the Z convention in Vegas (2000) and going around the speedway during the hot season (June)(no sunroof). It was a real thrill (baking was a good word for it). I installed it this past summer just before we painted it. The car that has the sunroof is a daily driver and has to many modifications to make it worth much. The sunroof does help to get the heat out of the car. I like it a lot. Did a better job of putting it in then what most people did putting them in the car back in the 70's and 80's. My track car can not have it on it. But I wish it could, it helps remove the heat a lot. Just remember this site is dedicated to modifing the 240Z. So you can do anything you want. The car will be a refection of you in the end. Good Luck with your choice, Rich. PS: This car (daily driver) use to race with the Colorado Z club. At the time I thought it was pretty solid car. We had a trackday at Stapleton Airport and after one session I was surprised to have a track worker come up and hand part of my car to me. The man, who had the car before me had used bondo to cover over some rust through areas in the rear wheelwells to hide how bad it was. This past summer we went through and fixed everything that was wrong with it. But we know it is just a daily driver.

Ever heard the term "don't judge a book by it's cover" ? :D

Obviously people have different tastes on cars... but the ZX was an improvement over the S30 in many ways. If you found a clean S130 for a good deal, would you pass it up just because your roomie said "they ain't worth jack diddly" ?

im sorry i didnt mean to come off like i believe everything he said, he doesnt like just about every car out there, his choices are basicly nissan and subaru. his gf drives a 1993 honda civic jerry riged together by a couple of mexicans (everythings done wrong every other bolt is over tightened) honostly i wouldnt mind a nice turbo s130, before he parted out his to mod his 240 (my room mate) i asked if i could barrow it for a while cus it looked like me and my mom needed to sell my car for bills (blah blah blah sorry for the life story)

im still not sure how my 240 would look with a sunroof, (myspace.com/randomtrog2 to see it, its my default pic.)

i will probably cut out a sun roof and try to picture it (you know place it on the roof and stare at it haha