HybridZ

jci crossmember

I had the same problem also. Now does the whole mount not fit between the frame rails or does one side overlap the frame rail when attached to the transmission? That's what my problem was and i was able to muscle the cross member in. Pictures would help us get a better idea of the problem.

Have any of you guys given John a call to see what he has to say about that situation?

i did as soon as i found out it wouldnt fit. i sent him pics and all. then i started talking to some people on here that have put 4l60s in and they all had to beat the tunnels on 280's. but this problem isnt included in the manual from john because they used the t56. but will the crossmember just not fit between the rails OR will it fit between and not line up to the transmission?

I found out that you had to remove more than just the ears to install the 4L60E into my 280. I just a few inches of the original transmission ear bracing and bent it it, but not a ton once the bracing was removed. The trans crossmember mounted up perfectly and didn't have any problems with it. I was the first one to order a JCI kit for the automatic and John said that the trans crossmembers are the same no matter which transmission is used. The difference is for the 240 vs 280, but not the transmission. Anyway, it's all in and I just installed the driveline today, as it was about an inch shorter than it should have been, so John took care of having it redone. All good now!

First, we need to know if you are swapping a LS# into a 240 or 280, (different mounting location for crossmember). Second, do you have a T56 or 4L60E? Finally, did John's car send you the correct transmission mount for your application- 240 Z? 280 Z? I will get over to the garage today and take some pictures of my set-up and hopefully the photos can answer some questions.

It sounds like you have the crossmember mount for the 240 Z. Post a picture of what you have to be sure. This is what I have -- 1977 280z with a 4L60E LS1/4L60 E from a WS6 Trans Am ( I have another shorter tranny cable linkage if I ever get time to get back in the garage !!!!!). There are two issues I have notice: 1. Having the incorrect mount for year Z and #2 Having to drill holes a bit to modify the 280 crossmsmber to fit the T56 or 4L60E. Hope this helps.

JCI_MOUNT_PIC_2.JPG

I did not like the trans mount in the JCI kit at all so I made my own. I did not like the idea of bolting in the crossmember to the floor on a 240. I re-used the ears from the old mounts and welded them up to the tunnel in the new location similar to the original setup. You can see the brace that was welded to the trans tunnel and the crossmember that holds the trans. The bottom of the crossmember is about the same height as the frame rails on the sides. The original trans tunel brace was not in the way so I left it in for some extra strength.

transmountbrace_thumb.jpg

transmount_thumb.jpg

transopyoke_thumb.jpg

tunnel2_thumb.jpg

I found out that you had to remove more than just the ears to install the 4L60E into my 280. I just a few inches of the original transmission ear bracing and bent it it, but not a ton once the bracing was removed. The trans crossmember mounted up perfectly and didn't have any problems with it. I was the first one to order a JCI kit for the automatic and John said that the trans crossmembers are the same no matter which transmission is used. The difference is for the 240 vs 280, but not the transmission. Anyway, it's all in and I just installed the driveline today, as it was about an inch shorter than it should have been, so John took care of having it redone. All good now!

The JTR manual is pretty explicit, they require the tunnel to be clearanced with a BFH . I installed a SBC 350 with the JTR and late 700R4. I used the JCI kit to mount my LM7 with 4l60E. The JCI kit's trans cross member is located EXACTLY where the JTR member was mounted. The JCI seems to mount engine and transmission higher into the tunnel than the JTR. I had to massage the tunnel a bit to gain additional clearance and I had to massage the floor pan to allow the passenger side rear corner of the AT pan to clear.

It appears by tape measure that my JTR driveline can be used with the JCI kit. I'll know in a week or so when I hoist it into the car for a trial fit. The tape measure seems to think it'll fit.

g

• 9 months later...

Digging up an old thread.....

I got my LSx/4L60e combo in yesterday and today I noticed when I got underneath it to install the starter that there is no way I am going to get to my trans coolant fittings on the trans without some serious relieving of the passenger side trans tunnel/firewall. The servo cover is also making slight contact with the trans tunnel too. Others have mentioned the trans pan hitting too, although I haven't noticed that happening (yet). I am using the JTR's crossmember and JCI's LSx mount kit.

The JCI manual didn't mention anything about beating the trans tunnel prior to install or I would of completely done it before installing the motor/trans......

The trouble is I don't wanna pull the motor and trans back out to do it.

Luckily I think I can use a stud welder (used for body work) and a slide hammer from the inside of the car (no carpet atm) to pull the corner away to allow enough room to get to the coolant fittings.

LSx Z 1_thumb.jpg

LSx Z 2_thumb.jpg

LSx Z 3_thumb.jpg

LSx Z 4_thumb.jpg