HybridZ

New MS Install - Won't Run - Ignition Issue?

TrumpetRhapsody

Ok so, new Megasquirt install, having problems getting it to kick over and run.

MS II PCB 3.0, Extra code version 2.0.1

Running Ford EDIS

GM IAT

280z CLT (always reads 180*, checked resistance & need a new sensor)

LC1 wideband (not calibrated yet, motor must be running to give power to calibrate)

Stock 280z Injectors - Low impedance (195cc?)

240sx Throttle body and TPS

I'm getting fuel to the rail. I've checked timing with a timing light, and it's 10btdc while cranking. I think I have the firing order right, I have 1&6 closest to the plug, then 5&2 in the middle, then 3&4 farthest from the plug. I'm showing rpms in megatune, so I'm pretty sure everything is wired correctly.

So, when I crank it, it seems to putter a little as if it were trying to start, and sometimes cranks up to 400rpm or so, but usually backfires or stops itself back to 0rpm after a bit. That makes it sound like the firing order is off, but I color matched and double checked wiring, and referenced a few places for the hookup order.

I've included my MSQ and datalog, hopefully that'll help. I'm not sure what else to check at this point. If my trigger wheel wasn't PERFECTLY centered on the dampener, and the gap changed a bit through the rotation, would that screw everything up completely?

I'm open to ideas.

MSQandData.zip

MSwiring_thumb.jpg

I double checked the diagrams for edis and ms while hooking it up, and the coil to module wiring was color coded, so I'm pretty sure it's all wired correctly.

I guess I'll try that tomorrow, but based off of searching around the site, and the ACB order from the connector side on, I think it's correct.

I just found out that I'm running a combination of 280z and 280zx injectors, in addition to running a req fuel of 5.5 instead of the 12-17 I should be based off the injector sizes. I've changed the req fuel to 14 (split the difference between the z and zx injectors) and will try it tomorrow, so hopefully even with different sized injectors it should still run somewhat. I've included the updated msq, with some additional ignition tweaks based off some reading.

InitialTune102608.zip

I'd fix the two issues you mentioned with the mismatched injectors and the broken coolant temperature sensor. Both of these are going to make tuning the car to start correctly in cold weather somewhere between a royal pain and impossible. If you can get all the non-turbo injectors on one bank and all the turbo injectors on the other, you might be able to trick it using the dual table option, but any way you look at it, you're in for a headache with this.

Big progress! It runs :D

I pulled the rail and replaced two injectors that were A48 suspects, and bolted up my exhaust so I'm not dealing with open headers. I also went out and bought a new 280z clt, and now have coolant temp reading properly.

So after a bit of cranking and attempts at running backwards, it'll idle (poorly). I hit all the plugs with a timing light, and for some reason 2&3 don't register anything. Occasionally the engine will rev a bit as if they got a few sparks. Maybe the latest log will help? Still get a few backfires here and there, and had one of what might have been a knock :(

Another weird thing is that it seems like I occasionally get spikes of accel enrichment coming on. I'm not sure if it corresponds to the rpm spikes (assuming the sudden addition of spark to those two cylinders?), but it's something to look into.

Now I just need to get my wb02 calibrated and put in the bung to see how my afr sits, and confirm and figure out why two cylinders aren't sparking.

datalog200810282300.zip

Some timing lights require flipping the pick up upside down on some of the plug wires when using a wasted spark ignition like EDIS. If you still can't read a spark on these cylinders, about the only things it can be are the plugs, wires, or coil, since you are getting a spark on the companion cylinders.

That's what it is. I almost guarantee it. I inadvertently flipped the pickup on the other ones that would have needed it. I'll confirm later today. Thanks for that!

So now that just leaves why accel enrichment all of a sudden spikes on for a split second occasionally. It's set to 100% tpsdot, and I never tweaked the throttle through that entire datalog.

To keep the air warm, duh :D

Ok so my plugs are indeed firing, but I'm having other issues.

I thought my O2 wasn't working, as it's been pegged at 20.6 or so until tonight. The lowest I got it to was 16.3, but that was briefly.

In an attempt to get a solid idle, I've been tweaking on my VE table. My MAP has been idling around 80kpa + (way to high), and by richening it up little by little I've gotten it down to 70kpa so far.The problem is, as I richen it up and my afr's become reasonable, the car backfires A LOT. It's too loud to work on anymore tonight. :(

Done. My firing order was wrong. I swapped the plugs from coil 2&3 and it purrs like a kitten now. I took a tuning run, and have been adjusting my VEs.

For some reason, Megatune locks up occasionally. Unpluging and pluging the USB cable usually brings it back to life. Weird thing is, I can't find it reflected in the datalog, oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

datalog200810301518.zip

For some reason, Megatune locks up occasionally. Unpluging and pluging the USB cable usually brings it back to life. Weird thing is, I can't find it reflected in the datalog, oh well.

This usually means the USB adapter is loose in its socket. Running it with the extension cable in place often makes it less likely to vibrate out.

This usually means the USB adapter is loose in its socket. Running it with the extension cable in place often makes it less likely to vibrate out.

I run it with the extension, but I'll check every connection just to double check. I was thinking it might be some sort of setting. Does datalogging continue if connectivity is lost to megatune? It sure seems that way.

Glad to hear its running, I just wish you had a roommate and maybe a Z buddy that is always hanging out at your house to tell you to check the firing order.

Cheers!

:roll:

So I was looking at a datalog, and noticed some issues with my battery voltage. A few points showed as low as 8v, and who knows how low it goes when Megatune locks up. I guess I need to take apart the voltage regulator to clean and re-gap it. This log reflects my recent zx alternator install, which has helped my overall voltages as well.

Datalog included.

datalog200811011828.zip

These lockups are seriously starting to hack me off. The car is running sooo well, but I can't make anymore progress until I can sustain a datalog.

I cleaned the contacts on the voltage regulator, and I'm sitting at a much nicer steady 14v now at idle, as opposed to the 11.9ish I had before. I'm still getting spikes between 9-15v though, and megatune still won't run more than a minute without locking up, if I'm lucky.:emo:

I was able to get one REALLY nice datalog though. :icon14:

datalog200811020235.zip

Lockups solved, thanks to jeffer949 for the DIYefi link and suggestion!

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=285&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=f34d645f34003cd4f1ecb13594549e36&start=10

The thing that, in addition to the above mod, fixed my lockups was plugging the usb-serial adapter directly into the laptop with a hefty serial cable going from it to MS.

IMG_29542_thumb.jpg