HybridZ

ZX freaked out on freeway

itsaprothing

uhmmmmm.. I hesitate to say this, but since you are replacing the slave and possibly the lines ANYhow.....

Power Steering Fluid added to the clutch master reservoir can help expand the seals a little bit and slow/stop your leak TEMPORARILY.. UNTIL the power steering fluid eventually finishes destroying those same seals. You WILL need to replace master, slave, and lines after doing this.. but I found myself in your shoes and decided it was a worthwhile tradeoff, since my master was leaking anyhow.

Repeat: power steering fluid CAN temporarily (month, maybe as long as three months) save the clutch hydraulics, but ultimately it will destroy them utterly.

brake fluid is made to swell rubber so it seals better anyhow, so I don't see why putting power steering fluid in there is going to make it any better.

I could be wrong, but i know putting some injector seals into some brake fluid a couple of days before re-using them (if you gotta!) will make them nice and plump, and resilient.

Not sure what power steering fluid would do to those same seals...

Lastest Engine Master's book reports of people using a cup or cup and a half of brake fluid in their engine oil to plump seals from the inside out.

these are weird times....

A little confused here Daeron,

you're saying if I put a little bit of power steering fluid in the clutch master cylinder, my leaks would temporarily stop :eek2:? and I wouldn't have to keep bleeding my clutch? Until I replace all the parts of course.

and if so, how much is putting a little?

Im saying exactly that, BUT ALSO that it dooms the cylinders (master and slave, and really the lines as well) because my understanding is that it swells the seals a bit more than the brake fluid>motor oil situation.

*I* did this in my car because I knew in due time it was all being replaced anyhow. Its a cheap, temporary fix that in the long run requires more work than its worth, unless you plan on doing it anyhow. It may or may not work for you; but if you think its worth a shot for you, i thought i would throw it out there.

I just replaced the clutch slave today and the car now runs like a true champ :icon14:. The clutch has a nice hard feel to it now, it's even harder than how the clutch was when I first got the car. Now all I need is that bearing for the pulley on the powersteering reservoir and i'm good to go. Anybody got a link to where to get it?

bearings like that are sold by size and speed rating... scan the bearing for a numeric code, and call a local NAPA with that number. Alternatively, you could look up the bearing by part description on a site like http://www.rockautoparts.com or http://www.thepartsbin.com and see if you can find the number there.

It may be available at any number of stores; there is no telling how many of them would know they had it though. Many industrial repair places would stock a supply of bearings that might include it, but the only way to know that would be by bearing number. Theoretically wheel bearings can be sourced the same way, but in practice is somewhat easier with bearings along the size of what you are talking about.

bearings like that are sold by size and speed rating... scan the bearing for a numeric code, and call a local NAPA with that number. Alternatively, you could look up the bearing by part description on a site like www.rockautoparts.com or www.thepartsbin.com and see if you can find the number there.

It may be available at any number of stores; there is no telling how many of them would know they had it though. Many industrial repair places would stock a supply of bearings that might include it, but the only way to know that would be by bearing number. Theoretically wheel bearings can be sourced the same way, but in practice is somewhat easier with bearings along the size of what you are talking about.

Gheezz, I did not know that. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks!