HybridZ

VQ510 I'm finally updating HybridZ

xlr8r

I finally took some video of the car so I'm posting the info on various forums that I used during the course of the swap to gather needed information to complete it. It's been great to see the Vq swapped 240z's & hopefully we'll start seeing some more Vq swapped 510's. Here's the info guys:

The swap itself took about a year & more $ than I want to count, but it has resulted in a quick & responsive street car that has character. Nothing that will clean the clock of most boosted cars, but NA has it's merits especially when it has the torque curve of a VQ35DE.

The car is a 1972 Datsun 510 that has a VQ35DE from a 2006 G35 I swapped in, though I may be dropping in one from a 2006 350z known as the RevUp which has cam phasing on both the intake & exhaust sides. I have one sitting in my garage & want to build it up, but a recent layoff is putting a damper on those plans.

The car is AEM EMS tuned, has a lot of custom bits like the mounts, intake manifold w/ 85mm T-body, R200 LSD diff, modded Z31 CV axles, modded rear LCA's to fit a wider tires under the stock fenders, exhaust manifolds, & the list goes on.

Here's some pics, a vid.

cardsiderl1.jpg

engbaynk5.jpg

dashkj5.jpg

wheelfrontko6.jpg

axlespto8.jpg

Very nice!

btw, was your 06' G35 VQ from an auto car? The 05' - 07' manual G35s have the Rev-up motors.

Yeah it was from an 06 G35 sedan with an auto, so it's the standard VQ. My builder motor is from an 06 6spd 350z so it's the RevUp. I may just swap the RevUp in w/out building it for now, so I can make sure I get the exhaust phasing worked out. Then later on get one built.

Will the AEM ems be able to control all of the VTC functions like the stock electronics on the rev up?

That's the one major thing I have to look into & haven't had the chance yet. It currently controls the intake cams, so I need to see if it was set up to also control the addition of the exhaust cams. If not I know of one way I probably get it to work, but that also requires some looking into.

Yes, I need to clean up some wiring. I left it all easy to access so that I could get to things in case I need to fix any wiring after getting it running. Now that it seems to be functioning well I can make things look a little better.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a plan. j/k

How about you just buy the whole car?

It looks like I may be selling it since I can't seem to find a job in my profession (architecture work is dead). So I'm going to start a business from an idea I've had for a couple years & need to sell the 510 to get some additional capital.