HybridZ

Are the internals of a 240SX R200 the same as ours?

QWKDTSN

I know the cases are different but I am wondering if the LSD portion of the internals can be swapped between a 240SX diff and a datsun R200. I am curious because I know of a place that sells JDM LSDiffs for $450. If you could just change the internals around I'd rather do this than get a Phantom Grip. Something tells me it wouldn't work, though, because nobody seems to have done this before.

I'd be interested to discover this as well. I believe the 240SX has a shorter pinion gear, but if everything else is the same, that's the way I would like to go. I assume the SX is 12mm ring gear bolts? You'd have to have an '82 (?) and up R200 with the 12mm bolts or somebody to make some precision bushings. Reider Racing said they wre tentative for the end of May for r200 LSD.

The only part that will swap between the two is the carrier which is a plus as I think most of them are a viscous LSD. Yes they have a 12mm ring gear bolt. Tonight I talked to a friend who has a shop and he said it wouldn't be a problem to make them. The bearings (carrier) and spacers will cross over too. There have been talks about this before so try a search to find out more. :D

The only problem with this swap is you have to use the the viscous lsd's side stub axles, the old R200 stubs won't work correctly.

I plan on using this setup, time will tell as my car is on its side fresh welding on it's bottom.

A lot of time :(

Don

Very few 240sx are LSD carriers. It has to be out of the super hicas (rear steer) option. In all the times I've looked for one, I've never seen one. I've been looking for a while to put one in my 240sx, but to no avail.

*nod* yeah, Terry.. they are rare.. but my friends informed me of a place that deals with rear JDM silvia clips (like a front clip except.. you know) and sells full 240SX LSD R200s for $450. if i find out more info i will let you know. i've seen and heard the action of a Quaife and i don't know if it's worth $1200 for all that noise and jerkiness.