HybridZ

Rock Crusher?

Georgia Flash

Hi guys I have spent the whole day pulling the old Camaro engine and tranny. There was a lot more to do it seems like than when I pulled my Z's engine a few weeks ago.

Anyway here is my question, the guy that I got the Camaro from said that it had a Muncie rock crusher tranny and a lockar rear end.

The numbers on the tranny are: GM3857584 and 3885010 I did a search on the web for Muncie and found a site that listed Muncie codes. The "3885010" code came back to a 66-67 1" bore patent. Is this a rock crusher tranny?

The rear end has the numbers PU G61391 is this a posi rear end? Thanks guys.

Oh yeah the tranny mount was deffinantely not chevrolet, or should I say not factory, so the tranny and engine were transplanted into the camaro by someone sometime ago.

Guest JAMIE T

If I remember correctly, A rockcrusher has a "C" in another number/build code(maybe a stamping) other than the one you listed. If it turns out to be a RockCrusher, it is very valuable to collectors and restorers. BTW, I think if it is a rockcrusher, it will also use the same output spline as a TH400. Instead of the more common TH350 spline count.

Sorry, I just re-read your post. I'm not completely sure that the M-22 Rockcrusher was available in the years you noted. I think the earliest it would have appeared was 1969.

I'm just a Ford guy, but cannot the question be answered by opening a cover to look at the gears? Was not the reason this tranny was called the "rock crusher" due to it's straight cut gears (rather noisy) verses the helical cut gears which are the norm?

The Rock crusher had MORE of a straigh cut than the regular Muncie, but they were still helical. Check out www.gearzone.net for their Muncie identifier and pics of the regular and rock crusher gear sets. Chances are it is just a regular ol' wide ration Muncie as they were the most common, but you never know! Like the guy with the DZ 302 in the SBC section, just because it started out that way doens't mean it still is...