HybridZ

soliciting opinions on my turbo z project plan

rossman

So I have placed an order with Rebello to build me a 3.0 stroker L series long block with forged 8.5:1 pistons and forged rods, turbo cam, and a fully ported and polished P90 head.

Now I have to decide on the rest of the hardware. I gathered these parts thinking I was going to build on a stock l28. Here is what I have on hand:

-Fuel, ignition and boost control, MSII

-turbo, Holset HE351

-exhaust manifold, stock, ported turbo flange

-intake, stock, n42, fully ported

-blow off valve, 50 mm, Tial

-intercooler, AVO 3x8x21, 2.5" in/out

-piping, aluminum, 2.25" to intercooler 2.5" out

-injectors, 450 cc, DSM

-fuel pump, Aeromotive A1000

-Fuel pressure regulator, Aeromotive A1000

-4" down pipe, cast iron, Holset

-distributor, 83 stock turbo

,-fuel rail, o-ringed, 11mm. Pallnet

I am looking to ultimately produce 400-500 WHP. I don't think this setup will get me there but I like to get it going with a conservative tune and upgrade as needed. To start, I think I need bigger fuel injectors...maybe 750 cc. I'm not sure how the Holset will perform with this setup but I figured I would give it a shot since I already have it.

What do you guys think? Any glaring deficiencies (besides the injectors)?

Possibly bigger intercooler pipping. im running the he351cw turbo and i say its a very very very good match for a stock set up Im running it at 21psi right now and its performing very well. Im not sure how much more it has in it though. If i was to build a forged bottom end i think i would want to look at a different turbo. I might stay with the holsets but would go with an hx35/40 series turbo just because you can get them cheap. your injectors will probably get you to around 400hp but not over. If you spend the money on the rebello engine I think it should be able to handle well overr 500rwhp. Some people say the exhause manifold doesnt flow enough even ported. If your interested i have an BAE turbo manifold which will flow way beyond a ported stock manifold. Just pm me if your interested. Other than that i would say your on the right track. Its just what your going to put behind that engine thats going to be able to withstand that much power

Thanks for your input. I don't want to skimp on the injectors. From what I understand 750 cc RC injectors will support a 500 hp l6 with good margin.

I forgot to mention that Rebello was concerned about running Megasquirt. They are concerned that it doesn't have sequential injection and suggested that I run 3 injector drivers. I'm not sure exactly what that means. I know there are some 500+ hp cars here running megasquirt so I am wondering if this is a real concern.

Sequential injection is a nice feature to have (there is a discussion on the MS forum regarding it - a quick search should show it), but it is only really important if you are trying to wring out every last horsepower from the engine.

My opinion is why spend the money on a Rebello engine and then skimp on the most important aspect of your car, the engine management.

Read jeffer949's trials with his MS constantly resetting itself. My aftermarket EMS does not do this and I know that others will not as well. MS is a great system and very cost effective, but you've gone well beyond the budget build simply by ordering a Rebello turbo stroker.

I'd second the IC piping opinion. I use straight 3" but I'd say 2.5" is a good match for the level you are interested in.

Your injectors are too small.

Megasquirt is fine (assuming it's been assembled properly) as long as you have a bit of time and effort spent in updated grounding, etc. Don't leave the stock harness for all the motor you are building.

Have you considered an EDIS-6?

I purchased my MSII (3.57 board) from DIYAutotune fully assembled/tested. I don't plan to use any of the original wiring harness except for the +12v wire coming out of the ignition switch to MS relay board. I am seriously considering EDIS. I have to figure out how to mount the bracket along with my A/C compressor. Cygnusx1 figured out a way to mount it to the A/C bracket but I would like to hear how it is working.

I'd second the IC piping opinion. I use straight 3" but I'd say 2.5" is a good match for the level you are interested in.

Your injectors are too small.

Megasquirt is fine (assuming it's been assembled properly) as long as you have a bit of time and effort spent in updated grounding, etc. Don't leave the stock harness for all the motor you are building.

Have you considered an EDIS-6?