HybridZ

Kumho unveils 385/15 tire. No, that's not a typo.

Too bad it's on a 22in wheel.

http://www.motorauthority.com/kumho-launches-worlds-first-15-series-low-profile-tire.html

385/15ZR22. With a quick calculation, that should be about a 26.5in overall diamater, which isn't too outrageous to fit under many cars. That short sidewall is going to be punishing though. It would be nice if they'd release a 385 width tire in a more reasonable 18in wheel, so you don't look like a wannabe rapper if you stick these on your car.

Seriously though, 385 width? I think I got a hard on as soon as I read that. Kudos to the first person to fit something that wide on a Z. It shouldn't require anything too drastic, only about a 140mm widebody or so. :P

My first post, by the way. Ive been a lurker for a while, and I look forward to becoming a valued member of this great community.

Too bad it's on a 22in wheel.

http://www.motorauthority.com/kumho-launches-worlds-first-15-series-low-profile-tire.html

385/15ZR22. With a quick calculation, that should be about a 26.5in overall diamater, which isn't too outrageous to fit under many cars. That short sidewall is going to be punishing though. It would be nice if they'd release a 385 width tire in a more reasonable 18in wheel, so you don't look like a wannabe rapper if you stick these on your car.

Seriously though, 385 width? I think I got a hard on as soon as I read that. Kudos to the first person to fit something that wide on a Z. It shouldn't require anything too drastic, only about a 140mm widebody or so. :P

My first post, by the way. Ive been a lurker for a while, and I look forward to becoming a valued member of this great community.

Clifton is running a 350mm rear tire, and it's a slick. Probably stickier than the Kuhmo. Also it's not a retardedly huge rim, which is a plus...

Clifton is running a 350mm rear tire, and it's a slick. Probably stickier than the Kuhmo. Also it's not a retardedly huge rim, which is a plus...

Forgive me, I'm not familiar with everyone around here by name, but is his car still IRS? If so, what has he done for body mods to fit something that wide? I'm aware of the YJ-equipped cars fitting up to 335.

I know there are plenty of tires out there as wide as this Kumho or wider, but none of them are street tires. I have an admittedly unhealthy obsession with wide tires, and always think in terms of street capability.

Pics here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=138065&page=4

Huge flares and narrowed rear control arms, coilovers and camber plates I think are all the modifications. You won't find any street tire to fit a 15x14 rim though...

Thanks for the info!

It's unfortunate there isn't enough demand for wide street tires with a reasonable wheel diamater and overall diamater to make something like that available. Something around a 335 width on a 16in wheel would be ideal on a Z, in my opinion, because it would give you a huge width without ruining the classic look of the Z by using large-diamater wheels, and without having to suffer with a rock-hard sidewall. That's just a dream though...

Thanks, once again.