HybridZ

High Idle

luvmy280zxt

Whats up fellas. Well i fixed a bunch of gripes with my 81 zxt thanx to the help of this forum and expertice of a lot of you all. But now im a bit stuck. This should be an easy fix but it seems not to be. I recently pulled my charge pipe off to clean it out and also sprayed a good amount of throttle body cleanner in the throttle body. Man it looked like it had never been cleaned in 27 yrs. I removed the small black box on the throttle body to do some cleaning also. NOW 4 the issue. I put everything back together and went to start. It started up fine but when it warmed up it stayed at 1250 rpm. Will not go lower. I adjusted the screw on the throttle but to no avail. I thnk it might have to do something with me removing the small black box of the throttle body??? I looked it up in my Haynes manual and couldnt locate it. Well its about that time to clean up the tools, make sure i didnt leave any in the eng bay. LOL Have a good night everyone:wink:

Yep, I did check it and it is closed all the way....Im puzzled?? I didnt really take a bunch of thing off. Just the charge pipe from the turbo to the manifold the little black box on the right side of the manifold and the connector to it. I did how ever dicide to pull all of my a/c stuff out since im her in washington st. and dont really need it. Could that have anything to do with it???

what can happen is if something gets disconnected or shorts out the car will freak and default to 1250rpm idle as a way to compensate. it is in the haynes manual in the troubleshooting section under high idle.

try disconnecting the afm and then reconnecting it. or maybe disconnecting the negative battery cable. this might reset it?