HybridZ

90-96 300zx diff?

denny411

As the creative gears in my head start to turn...I start to think "what if" :confused: HHmmm

Being that the ring gear bolts are 2mm smaller than the holes in the carrier, Why couldn`t I take a 12mm o.d bushing with a 1mm thick wall, cut it to the same thickness as the ring gear flange and, use it as a spacer to insure that the ring gear wouldn`t shift back and forth? A bronze valve guide comes to mind as a possible donor bushing. I`m sure there are some guides around that could be modified to these specs. HHMMmmm weird.gif another option to the same idea, would be to use a bronze guide that alredy hase a 10mm i.d. and have the o.d turned to 12mm on a lathe. They use bushings on timing gear bolts to adjust cam timing. and this would be so much easier to do because there is no offset.

Any thoughts?

Yes making them would be easy if they don't need to be very hard. I have looked for the spacers and had no luck in finding them. cry2.gif If you could use valve guides to make them it would be a snap to make them. I don't know if they could take the pounding.

Don

Well I`m on a mission.

I`ll keep you posted ;) I`m reasonably sure that bronze guides would be plenty strong to handle the pounding.they would not have to handle near the extreme pressure,heat and friction that they would in their intended use. They would be compacted and confined to a small area. That would make it much less likely for them to shift or distort. brass has been used for years as sinchronizers in manuel transmissions,and I`m pretty sure that bronze is stronger than brass.Or at least as strong, IMO anyway. bushed,floating wrist pins also come to mind as an example of impact strength. It would be neccessary to properly torque all of the bolts and use lock tight on them, but that should be done anyway.

Just for clarification, all 200r differentials are dimensionally the same except for the ring gear bolt size? If so, I will pick up a 90-96 unit asap and have a machinist friend make some spacers 2thumbs.gif . I`ll let you know what happens ;) Oh, what about the axles fitting into the differential? will the early axles fit the later differential? I know the 87-89 zxt viscious was different and needed to keep the original axles for that diff.

Guest Aaron

Am I confused here confused2.gif , or are there several different diffs being talked about here. Here is my understanding: The '84-'89 300zx rear end is the good old R200 that is the same or essentially bolts into Z's from '70 on. The '87.5-'89 turbos were clutch type LSD, and the '88 SE turbo was viscous LSD. The rear in all of the '90-'96 300zx's was the R230 (like the Q45). All R230's are viscous LSD. The Q had a 3.54 ratio, while the ZX had 3.7 and 3.9 i believe. (4.08 gears are available from the aftermarket.) Because the Q had more torque and weight, the CV halfshafts are larger than the 300.

The 200 and 230 in the diff names refers to the ring gear size (in mm), and therefore the gears are not interchangeable.

Is this correct or am I missing something here. confused2.gif

I`m not sure if the 90-96 diff is an r230 or an r200. I`m just going on what was said in an ealier post,that the carrier would fit in the r200 case except for the ring gear bolts.

After rereading some of the posts, I see that the side stub axles will not fit,but I`m sure that hurrdle could be cleared. Maybe use the c-v shafts from the 90-96 zxtt and make a companion flange or an adaptor,and possibly shorten the axles.

Guest JAMIE T

My understanding is that the ZXTT's have a VLSD R230 rear(shared with the Q45). The non-turbo 90+ ZX's have an R200. Whether or not it is LSD, I don't know. That is the rear I have been thinking you guys have been talking about. I'm going with the R230 on my own car, I'm bringing big HP and Torque, so the extra beef is needed.

Guest Anonymous

Here are pics of Tim240z's R230 mounts for a 70-78 Z.mounts

Here are all of his other pics. He has a side by side comparison of the R200 and R230.

Other pics

A couple people have done the swap using the CV axles from the 300zxtt, and a modified Q45 drive shaft. The CV axles end up using 300zx inner CVs on both ends (for the inner and the outer), then an adapter is made to mount the 'outer' to the hub of the 2x0Z. Search the archives for info. Tim was looking at documenting the swap a little more or offering some prefabbed parts to make it easier. I'm going to be doing the swap but I'm sloooooow. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Bear with me here please; I'm trying to learn about Datsun IRS units. Somewhere in these posts was mentioned about splined axle shafts. Does this refer to half-shafts that are two-piece and slide 1/2 inside the other as the suspension moves up and down? Are these the weak link of the IRS?

• 2 years later...
My understanding is that the ZXTT's have a VLSD R230 rear(shared with the Q45). The non-turbo 90+ ZX's have an R200. Whether or not it is LSD, I don't know. That is the rear I have been thinking you guys have been talking about. I'm going with the R230 on my own car, I'm bringing big HP and Torque, so the extra beef is needed.

Although I can't confirm the Q45 part, everything else is exactly what I have learned as well.

-R200 vlsd for N/A '90-'96 300zx 4.09 gear ratio

-R230 vlsd for TT '90-'96 300zx(tt) 3.69 gear ratio

Everything sound correct?

• 2 months later...