HybridZ

Hood Latch mod w/LT1 needed?

If I use an LT1 with my JTR kit, since the distributor is on the front of the motor and not in the way, do I still have to move the factory hood latch? I'm going to carb the motor anyways, but not quite sure if the latch has to be moved because the distributor is right at it on a traditional small block or not.

Not sure but if you are going to replace the LT1 FI intake manifold for a carb setup most that I read about also have the rear distributor hole drilled in the manifold for a small cap distributor?

I could be wrong and am thinking of the modified LT1 manifold for a TBI motor

Greg

Well I hope I can still use the Opti Spark with a carb manifold, if not, that'll defeat the whole purpose. I'm trying to stay away from EFI if I can...but if not, I suppose I can hack up my latch and install the JTR one.

You can still use the Opti even if you use a carb. I think you also have the option of using a traditional distributor if you want to go that route.

If I use an LT1 with my JTR kit, since the distributor is on the front of the motor and not in the way, do I still have to move the factory hood latch? I'm going to carb the motor anyways, but not quite sure if the latch has to be moved because the distributor is right at it on a traditional small block or not.

i am putting an lt1 in my 280z and it has been converted to carb. the gm performance intake i have comes with a hole to put the traditional dist, but it also came with a little cap looking thing with a plastic gasket to cap the whole if you want to use the opti. - i never thought to use the opti so i have the hei dist- if i have clearance issues i may just go ahead and use the opti so i dont have to cut up my latch-

How do you wire the Opti if you are going to run a carb? Can you adjust timing? Do you need the ECU? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never heard of this before.

Good question, after i read the post about being able to do it i started looking into it, and i dont have the original harness anyway so i just stuck with my traditional distributor. But like i said the intake came with a cap thing for the hole so i guess its do-able.

How do you wire the Opti if you are going to run a carb? Can you adjust timing? Do you need the ECU? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never heard of this before.
I don't have all the answers, but you wire the Opti the same whether you run a carb or use EFI and you will need to use the ECU (PCM). I don't think you can adjust timing if you retain the Opti.

Yeah I was thinking I could do a bolt on hood like that but my hood is in pretty much perfect condition and I don't want to chop holes in it, or get an aftermarket hood, as I've found good ones aren't very cheap haha

I guess if I have to, I'll cut the hood latch, was just goin to try and avoid it if I could.