HybridZ

JNJ or whoever, need help with 60' times

A while back, I read an old post that had some setup tips from the JNJ guys on how to make a Z launch. One part was about limiting the front end drop with a chain, that one is pretty self explanitory. The other was about limiting how far the rear would squat. How are you guys acheiving this? I have a coilover setup so I can adjust my height, but was looking under there and want some ideas on how to limit the travel. I plan to run at Houston Raceway Park this friday so any help would be appreciated.

What I really want, is to get the front end off the ground! I think I have enough power, not sure if my clutch will bite hard enough to do it though.

Thanks

Jeff

I have stock gabriel struts up front and it gives me about 6 inches of front end travel. I have stock struts in the back and I put rubber bushings (they are buick suspension bushings) on the struts to absorb the force and limit the squat. I have the squat set so that the half shafts are level as possible. This is what JNJ told me and I just played with it alittle. I think they are using 87 century strut absorbers that they cut down.

These two videos was leaving on low boost, but you can see how it hooks up and the front end travel. I just watched the videos to see what my car needed which I think you should do. With that same setup I got some balls and left at higher boost and it pulled the wheels about 6 inches.

Set the front up soft and the rear hard.

use very stiff springs and struts in the rear. furthermore, little positive chamber in the standing position is good for off the line traction in an irs car.

use soft, thin wire springs (lots of travel) in the front with stock struts and remove the front sway bar.

plus, use skinny tires up front and fatties in the rear. Use fresh rubber. MT drag slicks work great.

Try to lighten the front end as much as possible. Try moving the battery to the rear. use light weight engine parts (radiator, water pump, heads, intake, if you have a v8)

remove the passenger seat if possible. along with spare tire, jack, beer cans......

Hello HickL,

Sorry I have not been on Hybrid in the past day or so. This is what my brother Jerry pmed a member. I hope this helps you.

" We are using 89 chevy celebrity (front) strut cushions. I removed the springs off of the rear struts,and put a level on the haftshafts to find the height needed to make sure the shafts were level and added a 1"for crush. In my case I am using two per side(strut cushions).You can do this with the springs still on the struts,but you will have to remove them to install the cushions. "

The front limiters ( we use chain and eye bolts ). We tighten the front end travel down which keeps the travel out. If we are wheel standing bad then we tighten them more. Of course this helped before my new Alky engine, does not help much now.

Please PM my brother if you have any more questions and good luck.

John

A while back, I read an old post that had some setup tips from the JNJ guys on how to make a Z launch. One part was about limiting the front end drop with a chain, that one is pretty self explanitory. The other was about limiting how far the rear would squat. How are you guys acheiving this? I have a coilover setup so I can adjust my height, but was looking under there and want some ideas on how to limit the travel. I plan to run at Houston Raceway Park this friday so any help would be appreciated.

What I really want, is to get the front end off the ground! I think I have enough power, not sure if my clutch will bite hard enough to do it though.

Thanks

Jeff

We are hooking the chain in the fender well closest to the nose of the car in the thick metal. I will take some pictures today if I don't go to the track. Planning on going to spectate. Lets say if the front end was not limited when you take off the weight transfer back and it will do this be fore it actually launches, by limiting the travel it launches quicker. If you tighten it up more like at ride height etc. then the rear end / slicks have to work harder, note it is rougher on parts since you limited the travel.

I hope this helps and I hope I explained it okay. I just know from trial and error it does work.

John

I'm confused, if limiting the sag helps shift the weight back and get the nose up, how does limiting it more, keep the nose down?

Where on the body are you hooking the top end of the chain to?

Thanks

Hickl

you want to limit the travel so when the wheels come back on the ground there isn't a bunch of negative chamber in the front.

You know, when you jack up the car and the front wheels tuck under the car.

keeping the wheels straight takes less energy when they touch the ground after the lift.

JNJ I thought i heardyou were now having problems with too much power but what kind of times and power was this setup working good for you. If you would be so kind and share your spring rates i would appreciate it. I am buildind a 78z with 550hp 383,pglide and solid ladder bar rear with choice of 4.10 or 4.30 gears. thanks