HybridZ

Intake manifold vaccum leak?

silver280zx

I have a 79 s130 and i just replaced the intake/header gasket, and it was like a kind of paper gasket. I torqued it to the 15 lbs that the manual recomended, and it ran fine for about a few weeks, then it gradually started running rougher. I have no exhaust leaks, but i do have a header with 2.5 inch msa exhaust all the way back. It kinda hisses when you accelerate, sounds like an exhaust leak, but its not leaking, and it seems to come from inside the MAF. It also run smooth then gets rougher as it warms up. ill also mention that i plugged the egr. so it was a little on the lean side, so i richened it up a bit. It also started backfiring a bit, i thought it was because it was rich, but i leaned it out and it still back fires, the back fire occures every time i let off the throttle, it just starts popping bad. Does it sound like i might have a intake manifold leak and jsut needs retorqueing? or are there other underlying problem that arise when pluging the egr?

anyway, thanks guys.

ok thanks guys, i retorqued thegasket, and it still runs a bit lean, but itdoesnt really backfire anymore. I did a little reading in the efi bible, and it sounds to me like the mixture spring might be wound too tightly, but im not sure i want to go in and tamper with it. Is there a way to get fuel mixture readings on the car if it has no oxygen sensor on it? I have a port for one, because the header came with it, but the car didnt come with one stock. again thanks for the help.

Ok so I looked up the fsm on your year.

No o2 sensor.

The sensor that helps control mixure is the water temp sensor.

The thermadine switch controls cold start injector.

So when you engine is cold you are in a enriched state.

When that cycle is over the extra fuel is shut down and you are running on just your injectors.

At that point the fuel enrichment is driven by the wts amoung other divices.

Ok so I looked up the fsm on your year.

No o2 sensor.

The sensor that helps control mixure is the water temp sensor.

The thermadine switch controls cold start injector.

So when you engine is cold you are in a enriched state.

When that cycle is over the extra fuel is shut down and you are running on just your injectors.

At that point the fuel enrichment is driven by the wts amoung other divices.

Ya i had had problems in the past with the wts, and replaced it, but it seemed to flood the motor before, i think i may replace it again, its cheap and couldnt hurt.

Did you use the exhaust/intake gasket that came with the header? Did you have problems after or before installing the header?

I used the gasket that came with it. The problem occured randomly, nothing to do with the header, the header heas been on for years, i just changed the gasket out because my old stock steel one leaked. I think its a mixture problem or an ignition timing problem. Does anyone have a good timing setup they like for a stock 79 car with IHE and a stock motor?