HybridZ

borg warner blues

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

So far I've been messing around with drivetrain ideas for my '79 zx w/ an l28et..

I'd like to do this as cheap as possible (wouldn't we all).. I think the bw t5 would suit me just fine.. my question is would a z31 tranny from an 84-86 zxt fit in my '79, was the bell housing modified from the late s130 bw's?

here's a list of z31 gear ratio's

Gears BW

T-5

Turbo Nissan

Turbo FS5W71C

non-turbo Auto

non-turbo Auto

Turbo

Years 84-86 87-89 84-89 87-89 87-89

1. 3.350 3.324 3.321 2.458 ??

2. 2.056 2.077 1.902 1.458 ??

3. 1.376 1.360 1.308 1.000 ??

4 1.000 1.000 1.000 ----- ??

5. 0.752 0.711 0.759 ----- -----

R. 3.153 3.382 3.636 2.400 ??

I pulled that from z31.com

Now here is a less favorable list for a late 280zx bw

1st gear 3.500

2nd gear 2.144

3rd gear 1.378

4th gear 1.00

5th gear .780

Ouch, that's a high first gear. Very limiting, and possibly excessive wheelspin. I think the '84-86 zxt b/w would be great, the 3.350 is a high enough first.

By the way, this would be coupled with an 87-89 3.7 clutch type lsd (r200). I'd want to do as little modification/fabrication as possible.

I'd also be using the pro-ratchet mustang shifter from b&m. I think those would be a pretty lethal combo for my needs. The question is, can just be "dropped in"-? I appreciate any/all help! cheers.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

IMO, the 82-83 ZXT T5 is a very good choice for a car. Very similar gears to the 4 speed + OD. More gear may give more torque multiplication, but resulting wheelspin is easier to modulate and re-hook the car. I posed this question a couple of weeks ago and got no responses. In looking through my Chiltons book, they show bellhousings for the L series and V engines. The bellhousing for the V appears to have all of the bolts that the L has, plus a couple of more. The clearance bump for the starter is rotated since the V motor has it in a different spot. My guess is you can use the trans if you get an 82-83 bellhousing, but that still requires finding the 82-83 trans most likely.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info mike & lockjaw,

the reason I asked is because I've had trouble finding a decent priced 82-83 bw that someone would be willing to ship. 'BW for sale' the usual response is something like "Well, I'd take $150, but I don't want to ship it." Well, unfortunatly not everyone is in southern california. I did find an '86 turbo at a JY that still had the tranny, and it looked to be in good shape only 80k (rust outside and rear end damage). I figured I could save about 200 bucks plus a few more weeks of searching if I could use it. But if I had to get an early bw bellhousing, I guess that plan's shot. I really don't mind the 3.5 first, I just like a 3.35 better, also the lower OD for freeway cruising. And the 3.7 I'm pretty set on.. off the line

rolls, revs, turbo spools --->>>>>>vroom!! and now wheelspin, hopefully.

I'd like to get a pair of drag rads for some lethal street and strip action. I've got a set of 15x10 wheels just waiting to burn the rubber off! If anyone has an '82-83 BW tranny (from turbo 280zx) that they'd sell AND ship.. email me oddenfam@msn.com.. otherwise I guess I'll just keep looking and maybe find something local (in WA or OR).. thanks guys!

-980mak rockon.gif

I just put 3.90's in my 83 ZXT and I like it better than with 3.56's. It really goes thru the gears in a hurry, and I bet it would seriously pull something with that short first gear.

I kind of think numerically higher gears help with wheel spin. In my case, I could just pull second gear, and with 3.90s in the back, I would probably still be in boost.

Since I have drag ta's on mine anyway, it is not like wheel spin is a problem, but I still have plenty of overdrive with my set-up.

I would like to know if you could swap out the bellhousing's as I have a good source for the 300 trnasmissions. I would not mind trying one if mine fails.

Plus that short first gear will work to your advantage in a stoplight confrontation.