HybridZ

Smoothe rear end vs bumper....

tightywhitey185

Then I guess my next question is the type of sheet metal and thickness to go with. Sorry I have little to no experience with welding, except a tig welder and horse fences.

Well I think il probably fill mine with some 20 gauge weldable sheet stock.Maybe even 18.Has anyone ever noticed just how damn wimpy that quarter steel is?
http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=952825&postcount=7

Ours is about 20 gauge BTW. That said, I'm using 20 gauge for my body work.

• 3 weeks later...
I worried more about getting rear ended with no bumper (like the stocker would help at all!) than I did about getting a ticket, so I welded in a piece of thick wall 3x3 tubing between the frame rails as close to the rear sheet metal as possible. I haven't been stopped yet for no bumper, but AZ is alot more lax than other states.

That stocker will help more than you realize especially on a 77 or 78 but I too am toying with the idea of shaving the back of my 77..or maybe going with a 240 rear bumper..no front just the same type of air dam I had on my 78...but I was "tapped" a few years ago in the rear..and truthfully that baby was stiff..kept my car from being damaged more than it was...darned things sure do look good with the bumpers off , spoiler and shaved.

Guest samuraijesus

hey do any of u guys know if u can shave the bumpers on the ZX models or if it would even look good cuz i know they changed the styling a bit but yeah ive mainly only seen the 70 model z's with shaved bumpers

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who's worried about removing the bumpers decreasing the safety, you're probably in the wrong car. If I remember correctly, the larger bumpers on my 280Z are rated only up to 5mph. Obviously it depends on the squishyness of the object you're hitting/being hit by, but even when my friend plowed into the back of an '03 impala with my Z, my radiator took most of the impact. The impala was totaled, but the actual impact was estimated to be not much more than 10mph, and it also bent the bumper at a funny angle (see my project thread for pictures). I think the only thing that made my Z come out on top was the fact that it had a higher content of steel than the chevy.

Regardless of the fact that these metal monstrosities have saved my car from bodywork due to a few coyotes and a turkey, I am in the process of removing them. I just recommend shaving it so no one whines. Conversely, if you like the look of the early thin bumpers, MSA sells some fiberglass and carbon fiber ones that are lighter than the originals, and probably keep a similar standard of crash safety.