HybridZ

T04B15 Question

zbigtim

I aquired this turbo on ebay last week, not knowing what I was really bidding on. Supprising to me, I won it pretty cheep, which makes me a little worried. The unit has been installed and slightly used, but the shaft turns freely without any end play.

The Tag shows 409250-2005s, which also translates to a Garrett T04B15. When I google these numbers I don't find a whole lot of good information. I have come to the conclusion that the exhaust housing will not work. It does not match up to the exhaust manifold. I also believe that the exhaust housing is too large for a street L28.

today001.jpg

today002.jpg

today003.jpg

today004.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I really have?

Coments are welcome...

Tim.

Thank you letitsnow, thats some awsome info.

Forgive me, I'm new to the turbo stuff, does the "s" in the part number 409250-5002s mean that the compressor is the "S" trim?

I will be disassembling the compressor to measure this weekend, as you suggested.

Who would be a good source for the exhaust housing and wheel?

Tim.

I can't speak for any of the vendors here personally as I haven't bought from them, but I'm sure they would be a good place to start.

There's a chance that's what the S on the end of the part number means, but I highly doubt it.

Here is a link that has dimensions of many common compressor wheels.

Why not use an adapter plate to run it as is rather than turning it into a t3/t4 hybrid?

If it has the correct size turbine housing then that could work, but it probably has a huge hotside. The T04b-25 that I have has a 1.32a/r housing with a p-trim wheel, WAY too big for an l28.

Well, I took the turbo apart and here is what I found:

The compressor side dimensions,

The outside diameter of the compressor wheel is 2 3/4".

DSCN0055.jpg

The inlet diameter (2 3/4" OD - 2 3/8" ID which cones down to 1 3/4")

DSCN0057.jpg

The outlet diameter (2" OD)

DSCN0059.jpg

Look what I found on the inside of the compressor outlet.

DSCN0060.jpg

The exhaust wheel is 2 3/4" in diameter and 1 3/16" deep.

DSCN0064.jpg

Can anyone tell me what compressor side I have? Will it work well with the L28? If so, are there what size turbine wheel should I be looking for? I would like to run 15lbs boost, with the compressor efficiency peak at about 3000 rpm, for good street use.

Maybe I'm asking too many questions, and some of you may ask me to search before I ask the questions. I have done some searching, but I'm still a bit confused, and quite frankly the math in the Corky Bell book makes my head spin.:confused:

Thanks...

That link I posted earlier is dead, try this.

http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/comp_wheels.html

You need the inducer(little) diameter and exducer(bigger) diameter to identify the compressor wheel. It looks like you've narrowed it down to the S trim, H trim, V trim, and T5/6. All of which should be acceptable for use on an L28.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I found a complete stock T3 turbo on ebay last week and received it last night. Today I disassembled it to install the exhaust housing and turbine on my T04B. Much to my dismay, I found a crack in the T3 exhaust housing. I'm really bummed and I guess still looking for a T3 exhaust housing.

1229890857.jpg

1229890857-1.jpg

BTW how do I remove the exhaust turbine. I was able to remove the compressor wheel nut. I don't want to be too aggressive in fear of bending something.

1229890858.jpg

Tim.

The cracks won't effect it at all.

Remove the compressor wheel. They can gall on the shaft if you have to turn it alot without it slowly coming off. Once it's off, lightly tap on the threaded end of the shaft and the turbine will pop out. The only that that will be giving resistance is the piston ring on the end of the turbine wheel. You just need enough force to pop that out. Same with putting it back in just make sure you have the ring seated as far as it will go into the chamfer in the center housing. Use the T4 heat shield with the T4 wheel too.