HybridZ

Will Run flat tires work on other cars then the OEM cars they came on?

Might be a stupid question but here it goes anyway.

Im looking to get tires to mock up my new wheels and can get some OEM used Run flats pretty cheap. I was thinking to use them as mock up tires, use them a little and then get some real rubber. However Im wondering why when i was doing some homework on the tires on tire rack it says that these tires are for OE vehicles only. Does this mean it wont work on an after market wheel on our z car? What is the reason for this? Will these tires work or am I wasting my time?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+II+RFT&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=245VR7RE050ARFT&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

it depends on they tyre type, google "carbible" theres some good info in his tyre pages. depending on the maker, runflats are either VERY stiff walls with a special lip on the rim, or asymetrical beads/sidewalls with a raised centre to the wheel, or some other gimmickry. they need to be fitted to the wheels they came on or they don't work, and Type A runflat rubber won't work on type B runflat wheels etc etc...

if you can get the tyres AND wheels together, bolt them up, otherwise just get some bald normal tyres for pennies from a tyre place just to hold the rims off the ground when the wheels are on the car. :D

edit: I just read the tyrerack reviews, no 3 mentions extremely stiff sidewalls. So the wheels to use this model of tyre likely has a specially shaped bead-lock rim to hold the tyre in place even with no air inside.

Im looking to get tires to mock up my new wheels and can get some OEM used Run flats pretty cheap. I was thinking to use them as mock up tires, use them a little and then get some real rubber. However Im wondering why when i was doing some homework on the tires on tire rack it says that these tires are for OE vehicles only. Does this mean it wont work on an after market wheel on our z car? What is the reason for this? Will these tires work or am I wasting my time?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+II+RFT&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=245VR7RE050ARFT&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

Yes...as long as you can find your size. Runflats are no different than regular tires other than the reinforced sidewall and weight (almost twice as much).

I got a great deal (free) on some runflats a few years ago and I was running them on my 1990 300zx with aftermarket 19" wheels.

Aziza z,

As a mock up they would be fine, but they would not be a great tire to drive on. Once they wear down they get slippery and jump around were there are separations on the asphalt. As stated they work with the tire monitoring system --If you do not have the system, visually you can not tell if the tire has been punctured unless you check the air pressure.

They will work on aftermarket wheels. I had them on my Z06 wheels, then I purchased some BFG KDW II, AAA, flat kit and a low profile jack. Much smoother ride, I will never buy runflats for a vette I own.