HybridZ

Internal Gate OK?

260DET

GT35R on a single turbo VG30DET engine with MoTec M600 ECU. The present turbine housing is a internally gated 1.06 which works fine up to 15psi boost, only problem is it does not start to make significan boost until 4500rpm.

So I want to replace the 1.06 with a .82 housing but am concerned about boost control using an internal gate with the .82. Seeing the engine has to be removed to work on the turbo it would be useful to get it right this time :)

Fitting an externally gated setup would be extremely difficult due to layout and space constraints, but if it has to be done...........

Opinions, experiences?

Richard,

Is the problem that you want to run less boost? Or that you want it to boost sooner?

Also, what internally gated 0.82 housing were you planning on putting on it? I'd recommend against non-GT housings, apparently they made quite some improvement in the alloy between these and the old school T4 housings. Hence why you see them mention the high Ni content of the GT3582R housings especially, but apparently the rest of the Garret GT housings are still pretty good.

If you put an effectively smaller wastegate on it, you're just limiting its boost control capabilities. So, just run more boost and the gate won't have to pass as much air and its all good. :D 25psi for you.

Dave

'day Dave, problem is it boosts too late with the 1.06, apparently the .82 will spool up a lot quicker and is pretty much the standard for three liter manual Nissans.

MoTec controls the boost fine with the 1.06, just concerned it can do the same with the .82, up to say 22psi.

Hadn't thought about the make of housing, was thinking a 3" Vband would be good. Maybe ATP?

The more boost, the less the wastegate has to work. You might be in trouble if you say ran a 0.63 housing and wanted to run 5psi.

Try to PM HSVSUX on PF/ozdat, hes run both the 1.06/0.82 on his RB30ET with no other mods. He went to the 1.06 as the 0.82 was uncontrollable for him. I got his 0.82 housing on mine.

I'd ask whoever you get the housing from what they start with before doing the mods.

Dave

JeffP is running the original external gated GT35R with the .82 housing, and will get 2-3psi of boost at WOT at any engine speed below 3400, and at 3400 boost threshold is reached and terminal boost comes on like clockwork.

If that is your RPM goal for full boost onset, it will probably make you happy. I know Jeff was upset that they came out with an internal gated housing AFTER (like a year) after he spent all that time making the Tial unit fit his application! LOL

JeffP has a L28? No doubt the .82 works great, old mate's RB30ET is a good example.

Have decided to optimise the custom cams (221* @ .05" lift) valve timing first, then go for a .82 if its still down on power. Funny thing is the car is great to drive with the 1.06, its just a bit slow to accelerate.