HybridZ

Choosing the right Cam

bernie lomax

looking for more low-mid range torque (so she pulls better from 1500rpm - 4500rpm) from my basically stock L28 which has an N47 head...freer flowing exhaust thru header & 2 1/2 piping is on the menu...what type of cam should I look at? pls indicate optimal lift, duration, etc. appreciate your thoughts

Oh, this one is for me.

Nothing will give you better low down grunt than your stock cam.

Perhaps the only exception is putting in a stock factory turbo grind because of the minimal overlap these thing have.

One trick is to 'advance' your stock camshaft. I have done this and it will make an appreciable difference to the responsiveness of the engine. I know this is not 'precise' but I moved the cam to position 3 on the camshaft sprocket from an original position of one. This advances the cam about 8 crankshaft degrees, position 2, 4 degrees (depends on how old your timing chain is).

I have an old L28 engine in my car and it has probably travelled over 200K kilometres. The compression test I did on it the other day showed an average figure of 174 PSI. I attribute some of this to the 'small' cam that I'm using in it....a stock L28S camshaft. (12,48,54,14 are the timing figures and about 0.43 valve lift. 8.3 comp ratio N42 head and bottom end).

What else can I say. You don't have to do/spend virtually anything to get what you're looking for.

Cheers.

Really, the "C" stamp cam is so minimally different, I don't think you'll see any difference.

Anyway, Bernie, so far almost all of your questions in all of your recent threads have been answered in the stickys or FAQ's on this site. You'll often not find an exact answer, but you will find guidance that will point you in the right direction.

As to what cam, if you're gonna hunt up a "C" stamp cam, i'd take all that effort and find a cam from an L20A. Much bigger difference, if you can find one.

Really, the "C" stamp cam is so minimally different, I don't think you'll see any difference.

Here's a link to a table with all of the stock cam grind specs:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

I have an "F" grind cam for sale on eBay right now - slightly less duration than your N47 cam, so it should give slightly better low end response...

Not off the top of my head, but TonyD does. IIRC, it's something like .450 lift, compared to .430 lift of the other stock cams. (the C stamp has even less lift on the intake than most of the other stock cams! only the L28ET cam is smaller.)