HybridZ

Northstar in a Z?

Filmjay

Okay..I've searched and searched.

The only hint of a Northstar powered Z is from a banned member that never actually did it and ended up selling it off to a Fiero guy.

So, has ANYONE done it yet? I'm planning on doing it regardless, because I already have the N*.

I just wanted to know if there's anyone that has actually done it yet....or am I on my own with this one???

Being the first would be pretty cool...but at the same time be a potential P.I.T.A in that I have no resources to pull from.

And yes...before anyone posts the link, yet again, to CHRFab..I've already contacted them and will be sending the heads for some work and cams/springs.

Links? Pics? Anybody? ......help.:P

Yep, you can run a TH700-R4 (from a 60 degree V-6 powered S-10 or Camaro) behind them. Sounds like a special 'pocket' needs to be welded in for the starter.

http://www.chrfab.com/Transmissions.htm

Other internet rumors tell me that you can also use a '96-02 Dakota bellhousing to adapt it to a Supra R154 5-speed.

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71020

The XLR, SRX and post 2005 STS are also FR layouts with Northstar engines.

Other internet rumors tell me that you can also use a '96-02 Dakota bellhousing to adapt it to a Supra R154 5-speed.

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71020

The XLR, SRX and post 2005 STS are also FR layouts with Northstar engines.

The Dakota bell would still have to be modified. I've also heard that a bell from a mid-90's Isuzu pickup will work as well.

Though whether "direct-fit" or not, they all will still have to be modified for the starter.

Me personally, I'm planning on a T5 so I'll be looking for the Gen3 Camaro/Firebird or S10 bell. I've seen them on ebay (trans and bell) for less than $300.

But, I'm not worried about that yet. I've got enough engine work to keep me busy through the winter. Plus, I don't even have the car yet. haha.

Although, settling on the N*, my options for chassis have just expanded. I can go for a post-74 Z, instead of having to search the ends of the earth for a decent per-74 240/260 to be emissions exempt.

While I've never seen a northstar in a Z, there are lots of different sites documenting various RWD swaps. Most everyone points to CHRfab for parts and guidance. I can tell you for sure that the flywheel they sell is a McLoud piece that they resell, and if you have access to, or know a welder, the bellhousing mods are fairly straightforward.

I've got a bell from an old V6 Camaro that will mate to a T5 sitting in the garage. it'll need some modification to work, as CHRfab does, plus one mounting ear is broken. It's a remnant of a past project. If it would help someone out, they can have it for the cost of a box and shipping.

Everything I've read about this points away from a Chevy transmission towards a later T5WC. Alao, be very wary of overheated motors. It seems these guys liked to lift heads, and tear studs out.

Thanks. I already have the northstar just sitting and waiting on me to get my **** together. I'm also aware of the head stud issue with these motors. But, while SUPER complicated, they are very cool motors configuration-wise.

About the only thing I see my sending anything to CHR for would be head work. The bottom end is pretty stout and the stock N* of my year has a 10.3:1 CR. I don't really want any more than that as if all turns out well, I may consider a little bit of forced induction later on...much later on. :)

I wonder what kind of power you can put out with a set cams, exhaust and head work..???

Depends on the cams. The mid-range cams from CHR, with port polishing will put out about an extra 75hp. 100 hp for their full head package and big cams. (porting and polishing, 3 angle valve/seat grind, 4 reground cams, new HP springs, retainers, seals and intake cam sprockets redrilled)

That's not counting for headers either. But to get the most out of it, a custom , better flowing intake would be needed.

And CHR also has pistons in any CR and rods in I, H, or 4130 billet flavors for these motors as well...so depending if you wanted to go NA or forced induction, the sky's the limit....well, that and your budget. :D

800-1000hp is not uncommon from these motors in supercharged or twin turbo trim.

But they ARE expensive and complicated. Now I know why nobody's ever done a Northstar Z. :P

But they're SO cool. Everything is symetrical. I can flip the intake to convert back to FWD or to install as a rear-engine setup. The heads can be flipped to run the exhaust ports from the top for easier turbo installs...or out through the hood! HAHAHA! There are a ton of possibilites in the configuration. It's awesome!

the problem with the north star is the very limited amount of speed parts support and its limited displacement. ID strongly suggest finding a 472-500 caddy if your into caddy engines, or going with a CHEVY V8 if your looking for an EASIER swap with a huge supply of info and parts availability.

many salvage yards can supply a 472-500 caddy engine for under $400, Id bet you could have a reasonable combo up and running if you had a complete caddy donor car, and the datsun for under $3k

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101463&highlight=caddy

101_0132.JPG

BTW CADDY BLOCK HUGGER HEADERS!!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/472-500-CADILLAC-TIGHT-FIT-HEADERS-PLAIN,4645.html

IF you were local and had a decent budget set aside IM sure my freinds could quickly install the caddy northstar and get it driveable, but its very unlikely to be a cost effective swap

the problem with the north star is the very limited amount of speed parts support and its limited displacement.

I am whole heartedly seconding this statement. The parts are there, but I've been looking at all the specialty tools needed for the Northstar, and JUST the required tools are in the neighborhood of $1000-1400, depending on where you buy.

Plus, the block will HAVE to be timeserted the first time the heads are removed...the timesert kit for the Northstar alone is $400-700...also depending on the source. And that's just to repair the head bolt threads in the pourous aluminum block. (they were installed with the purpose of being "semi-permanent" from the factory.)

So, JUST the required specialty tools needed for the Northstar is already at $1400-$2100. There goes 1/4 of my engine budget...before I've even turned the first bolt.

...and THAT'S why nobody's put a Northstar in a Z yet. I'd love to do it...but DAMN!

I think I'll just learn a bit more about building my own...and bug the heck out of Grumpy...instead of this Northstar. I'll still keep it to maybe do somethng with in the future, but for now...I think I'm going to have to pass the "first Northstar Z" torch to someone else...:sour:

nope i was wrong v8's are 130 with a 20 core and insurance on it is 30 (optional but recomended) and trannys are 50 with a 9 dollar core and 10 dollar insurance....here's a list of how much everything cost

http://www.pullapart.com/Pricing/Main.aspx

these are set prices....as long as your not getting anything for a honda youll be ok...cause those things get raped until the point were theyre unrecognizable

heres a list of the cadillacs....they only stay on the lot for 30 days or so...so if the date on them is more than 30 days old theyve probably been crushed....

http://www.pullapart.com/Inventory/SearchDetail.aspx

Thanks man...but...I already have the engine. I'm not looking for one.

But, yeah....the 4.0L motor I have will make 400hp QUITE easily without forced induction. But the necessary specialty tools and performance parts for it would be in a price range that could build a 600hp SBC.

I'm gonna keep the motor. I'll do something with it later on. The only reason I bought my old Aurora was specifically for the engine. But, for this project, I think a SBC or even a BBC is gonna be my best bet.