HybridZ

CSI Needed(Electrical) Blinkers/EDIS/Tach

I have no idea if these problems are related and it's going to be tough to describe so here I go:

1)Cold start...25degF

2)Left Front blinker and hazard bulb appears dead. Also dead with driving lights on.

3)Left blink indicator in dash stays lit solid with left turn signal.

4)Tachometer that is fired off of EDIS-6 module. Very erratic tach, needle mostly parked at zero.

5)Car warming up.

6)Right blinker works fine but causes tach to bounce in time with the blinkers.

7)Car mostly warmed up.

8)Both left and right blinkers and bulbs are now working fine but causing tach needle to bounce when blinking.

9)Hazards work fine. No tach bouncing with hazards on.

10)Left blinker stops working.

11) Now right wont blink but left will. Both when blinking, will cause tach to bounce.

12) Fully warm with warm engine bay. Everything works fine. Including tach and all blinkers and hazards. No tach bouncing. Nothing wrong anymore!?

13)Should I move to florida where it does not get cold?

OK WTF?

I don't expect a lot of people to read this and make any sense of it but I would appreciate any wild guesses.

Wire shrinkage would be my guess. old wires get brittle with age and heat/cold cycles...so when they get really cold they shrink, causing intermittent breaks along the length of the wire. I would imagine that would cause all kinds of goofy problems.

but yeah, I would suspect the alternator as well. :lol:

Thanks for the clues guys! Excellent places to start. I already disconnected cleaned, dielectric, and reconnected some of the connectors in the circuits. Next, I'll take out the bulbs all around and clean the sockets. Then I'll trace some wiring and grounds.

I would be looking at the ground side of the park/ turn signal lamps. With a bad/poor ground, voltage can back feed through the other filament. I've seen it many times.

The ground for the gauge lights on a 240z is the light bulb holder itself, not a separate ground wire like the 280zs. The bulb holder has a small metal strip that grounds out on the gauge housings.