HybridZ

Rear Axle Life Expectancy?

ok, i have an 82 280zx (was a 5 speed car if that makes a difference)...

with sb 350/th350 w/ cam a couple other bolt-ons along with a 150 shot...and the car will be getting drag radials soon...

im just trying to gauge if i am going to be needed to throw something stronger in there right away or if ill should be fine for a while?

• Administrators

Here is a hint. This pic is real, no photo-shop.

Nitrous, dual quad, supercharged small block and this R-200 diff is stock, other than welded spider gears, and runs 9.2 @ 153 MPH!

motivator1789543.jpg

The half shafts are your weak link, and being semi trailing arm rear suspension that weak ink is exaggerated. Stock Datsun Half shafts were used in that car pictured above and did hold up, I seem to recall they did bust a few, though the JnJ boys spent some time to be sure there was no angularity of the U-joints during launch, (that is the secret to getting the half-shafts to survive abusive launches, which is more difficult with the ZX semi trailing rear suspension). Those gentlemen that own/race that Z eventually upgraded to the 300ZX CV half shafts.

Hope that helps.

Here is a hint. This pic is real, no photo-shop.

Nitrous, dual quad, supercharged small block and this R-200 diff is stock, other than welded spider gears, and runs 9.2 @ 153 MPH!

motivator1789543.jpg

The half shafts are your weak link, and being semi trailing arm rear suspension that weak ink is exaggerated. Stock Datsun Half shafts were used in that car pictured above and did hold up, I seem to recall they did bust a few, though the JnJ boys spent some time to be sure there was no angularity of the U-joints during launch, (that is the secret to getting the half-shafts to survive abusive launches, which is more difficult with the ZX semi trailing rear suspension). Those gentlemen that own/race that Z eventually upgraded to the 300ZX CV half shafts.

Hope that helps.

God dam thats sexy as hell im drooling overhere

ok, well that helps some... especially since the car probly wont be doing to many launches from a dig

im not to familiar with Nissan Diffs...is there a pretty obvious way to tell if i have the 180 or the 200? i cant find a clear enough image in those other threads.

I found that the stub axles on my Zcar were the weak link. I would brake stub axles regularly at the track. I am currently running a beefed up R200 LSD with CV axles and MM 39 spline stub axles.

My car is nowhere as fast as some of the others, it runs 6.40's at 110 in the 1/8th spraying a 175 shot at the 60 ft. mark.