HybridZ

muffler choice?

lilesrebel

Im currently building a 1974 260z with a L28, 4 barrel 600cfm holley, header, twin idler gear, mild cam, and other basic stuff. But the motor is not in the car yet because i still need to paint the car. I might put a turbo on later, so im planning on using at least 3" exhaust but i cant decide what kind of muffler. Ive looked at flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, and apexi but still dont know what i should go with. i dont want it to sound ricey but real deep, similar to a v8. big phil's turbo 280z on youtube is the best sounding z I've ever heard but he is running 4" with a deisel muffler (which is way to big for a NA motor like mine) here is his video:

Can anyone give me some good advice. and what is the best header? 6 into 1 or stahl?

any advice would be much appreciated.

i have always just run a glasspack/resonator as my 'muffler' I will admit though that on a N/A 3" car it is loud as hell but is a perfect setup on a turbo.

I have had good success with flowsound mufflers which are really just flowmaster clones but flow as well if not better and are cheaper. Also had good success with dynomax and they aren't expensive either

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/fullboar_vtube.html

Im currently building a 1974 260z with a L28, 4 barrel 600cfm holley, header, twin idler gear, mild cam, and other basic stuff. But the motor is not in the car yet because i still need to paint the car. I might put a turbo on later, so im planning on using at least 3" exhaust but i cant decide what kind of muffler. Ive looked at flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, and apexi but still dont know what i should go with. i dont want it to sound ricey but real deep, similar to a v8. big phil's turbo 280z on youtube is the best sounding z I've ever heard but he is running 4" with a deisel muffler (which is way to big for a NA motor like mine) here is his video:

Can anyone give me some good advice. and what is the best header? 6 into 1 or stahl?

any advice would be much appreciated.

If you are going to run a turbo then stay away from Flowmaster-style mufflers - too much backpressure. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they may still work for a naturally aspirated application where the pressure pulses still have some separation, but with a turbo they just don't work very well. Go with a straight-through muffler like a Dynomax instead.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but did I read that correctly that you are planning a Kameari twin idler chain tensioner? That's a really nice piece, but you are wasting your money if you don't plan to spin higher than the stock redline, and a mild cam and 600cfm holley are not going to make power at high enough rpm to justify the cost of the Kameari tensioner. That money would be far better spent on any number of other things such as forged pistons, or headwork or brakes or suspension or...

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but did I read that correctly that you are planning a Kameari twin idler chain tensioner? That's a really nice piece, but you are wasting your money if you don't plan to spin higher than the stock redline, and a mild cam and 600cfm holley are not going to make power at high enough rpm to justify the cost of the Kameari tensioner. That money would be far better spent on any number of other things such as forged pistons, or headwork or brakes or suspension or...

I allready have forged pistons, and headwork done to the engine. the motor still needs to be put together so i figured i would get a twin idler gear because it would be easier to put it on, and plus i dont like the stock timing chain tensioners design.

and You said if i dont plan to spin higher than stock redline it would be a waste.

Really all im trying to do is build a reliable car with good horsepower. i may not even turbo the L28. I might put a RB26DETT in it years later.

and the 600cfm holley should still be good at high rpm considering most scca datsuns run a 390cfm carb. so i should still make good power. im also looking into MSD ignition. but im not an expert on this.

I think i narrowed it between these mufflers any input?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLO%2D15430&N=700+4294923429+4294922710+400238+4294891681+4294791977+316877+115&autoview=sku

or

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR%2D40085&N=700+4294923429+4294922710+400310+4294791977+115&autoview=sku

or

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D14806&N=700+4294923429+4294922710+400636+4294891681+4294791977+4294906132+4294906130+4294906131+4294906122+115&autoview=sku

Dynomax is also a good muffler but then it would sound just lke my 1994 Toyata pickup with a 22re its running no cat with 2.5" pipe to the dynomax which exits before the rear tire.

thanks for your help.

and You said if i dont plan to spin higher than stock redline it would be a waste.

Really all im trying to do is build a reliable car with good horsepower. i may not even turbo the L28. I might put a RB26DETT in it years later.

The Kameari piece is really more for those that plan to spend significant time above 7000rpm. Noting in your stated build points to this. As far as reliability goes, there is nothing particularly wrong with the stock setup - it has been used reliably for 100's of thousands of miles on millions of engines.

You can do what you want -it's your car. It just seems like you could get better results with that ~$600 elsewhere.

Back on topic, the Magnaflow or the Borla should be okay, and the Flowmaster should also be fine if you are not going to run a turbo. They'll probably be pretty loud.

As far as reliability goes, there is nothing particularly wrong with the stock setup - it has been used reliably for 100's of thousands of miles on millions of engines.

You can do what you want -it's your car. It just seems like you could get better results with that ~$600 elsewhere.

I may not even get the twin idler gear now considering I'm running tight on money because of Christmas and i want to finish the car before spring time, so maybe i will buy it later or say the hell with it, because the stock one still looked fine with over 220,000 miles on the motor.

so maybe i will spend the money on something else like suspension or rear disc brakes.

really the only reason why i did like the twin idler gear is because it reduces friction on your motor, so i thought it would make it revup quicker. I do plan on running it on a road course, but not extensively. just to see what it will do.

thank you for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

my exhaust system just rotted out completely so i went ghetto on my exhaust system and i am only spending 130$ total. not including tools. I bought a 25$ 2.5 inch 7.5 feet of pipe from a warehouse. i then bought a magnaflow catalytic converter from ebay for 64$:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnaflow-2-5-Universal-Fit-Catalytic-Converter-53006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33629QQihZ001QQitemZ110319508999QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

don't look at the pic. It is half the size.

then i bought a magnaflow muffler for 46$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-XL-Muffler-4-x-9-Oval-14-Body-2-5-O-C-13216_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ012QQitemZ220330420151QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and finally some clamps to hold it.

I haven't finished yet but i am almost done cutting and welding the manifold to where the cat ends up. I completed the pipe from the cat back already. Not the highest flowing, perfectly smooth exhaust system, but inexpensive.

I could have spent 14$ more to get a straight through, but i can always change that.

Its fun driving the z with no exhaust system around town and to school. (no one has pulled me over yet, temp plates) Makes people turn heads. :D too bad there is nothing to look at yet

Ill take some pics and add it to my progress thread when I am done with the pipes

if you want a great sounding exhaust, go with msa's twice pipes setup. sounds amazing imo. it's loud but not obnoxious. again...my opinion lol. i've gone on 2 hour canyon runs windows down and didn't get annoyed at all. also gave my Z some great higher rpm pickup. really screams now :P

but, if you're not into that, go with the dynomax. best deal in my mind and if i didn't get the twice pipes, it was the dynomax.

Until you get the turbo in i would highly recommend cherry bomb 18" to 24" mufflers, after the turbo install no muffler is required, the turbo is the muffler. that is in almost every state inspection book i have read. my son is certified for inspections in 5 states and we looked it up and your state inspection laws are the same. North Carolina, right????

IMO,trying to build an exhaust for NA AND turbo are mutually exclusive.

NA you only need 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipes, turbo you need 3 inch. Too big on the NA and you get droning, wight you don't need and a lack of low end torque.

Too small on a turbo and you choke the top end and spool up characteristics.

Until you get the turbo in i would highly recommend cherry bomb 18" to 24" mufflers, after the turbo install no muffler is required, the turbo is the muffler. that is in almost every state inspection book i have read. my son is certified for inspections in 5 states and we looked it up and your state inspection laws are the same. North Carolina, right????

since it is 2009 I don't have to get my car inspected at all because it is 35 years old and yes it is in NC. I'm not 100% sure on a cherry bomb yet or any other muffler but i have decided that i would put a flange at the rear so i can use different mufflers just as long as it has the same type of inlet and outlet.

and also i'm going to run a electric cut out right after the header. so i can have just a straight header with the flip of a switch.

and i also have decided that i wont turbo the car unless i do get a RB26DETT later on i would have to change my exhaust completely then, because of being turbo charged and needing a larger diameter exhaust than a N/A.

I will probably run 2.5 inch exhaust on the l28 to keep low end torque.

The flowmaster 40 series sounds great on these cars IMO as expressed in this video

but the dynomax sounds great to

and i will have a cam very similar to his.

but then again the N1 muffler sounds great to but it does look ricey from the back

The flowmaster super 44 will more than likely be the muffler i choose to begin with because i can get it for cheap. but i might change it out later. for something else or swap the motor.

IMO,trying to build an exhaust for NA AND turbo are mutually exclusive.

NA you only need 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipes, turbo you need 3 inch. Too big on the NA and you get droning, wight you don't need and a lack of low end torque.

Too small on a turbo and you choke the top end and spool up characteristics.

so you think that 3 inch would be to big for a NA L28

Im no longer going to turbo the motor.

I probally will use the 2.5 for low end torque but if 3 inch isnt to big and i cant still have good torque then i will use that. but for now im leaning toward 2.5 because i can get piping and every thing else i need cheaper than 3 inch.

SUPER SERIES 44 FLOWMASTER IS WORTH ABOUT 40 HP SOUNDS FRICKEN GREAT AND GIVES GREAT TORQUE. THE GUY THAT BUILDS THESE IS A SMART DUDE HE DESIGNED THE MUFFLERS FOR THE STEALTH FIGHTERS AND i READ AN ARTICLE THAT SAYS YOUR EXHAUST CAN COST YOU BIG HP IF NOT RIGHT.NASCAR CLAIMS GAINS OF 20-50 HPBY CHANGING DIAMETER AND LENGTH OF EXHAUST.A STEP DOWN HEADER AND OR TUBES WILL BRING A GAIN.THE NASCAR GUYS SAY THE DIAMETER OF THE PIPE CHANGES INTAKE DRAW TO CYLINDERS.OK NUFF 4 NOW,B

I've been thinking about getting a new exhaust soon as well. I bought an MSA 6 to 1 header for $5 and used electrolysis to clean up the rust and it cleaned up very nice. I've painted it with some header paint. Don't know if it will last but this will be a budget exhaust setup. I really like the look and sound of the MSA Twice Pipes setup.

I think I will just go 2.5 inch for now with a Borla or Magnaflow muffler and upgrade later when I decide to go turbo.

SUPER SERIES 44 FLOWMASTER IS WORTH ABOUT 40 HP SOUNDS FRICKEN GREAT AND GIVES GREAT TORQUE. THE GUY THAT BUILDS THESE IS A SMART DUDE HE DESIGNED THE MUFFLERS FOR THE STEALTH FIGHTERS AND i READ AN ARTICLE THAT SAYS YOUR EXHAUST CAN COST YOU BIG HP IF NOT RIGHT.NASCAR CLAIMS GAINS OF 20-50 HPBY CHANGING DIAMETER AND LENGTH OF EXHAUST.A STEP DOWN HEADER AND OR TUBES WILL BRING A GAIN.THE NASCAR GUYS SAY THE DIAMETER OF THE PIPE CHANGES INTAKE DRAW TO CYLINDERS.OK NUFF 4 NOW,B

Nascar 800 hp engines make 20-50 hp from re-engineering there exhaust, but bolting this flowmaster on your Datsun six will net you 40 hp. WOW!