HybridZ

Any Civilian Contractors in 'stan?

Doug71zt

I've been offered a civilian contractor job in Afghanistan with the DOD. Anyone working over there right now on the bases? I am interested in the working/living conditions on-base as well as the general state of affairs right now. It is a long-term deal.

I've been working overseas for 15 years now, including UN in Iraq on the WMD project, so I'm used to the normal 3rd world stuff..

PM me if you want to keep things quiet.

Cheers

Doug

back from iraq-got a job at home when i got home for r&r.probably should have stayed for another 3 monthes though.now i work on street sweepers that caltrans bought from allianz sweeper.i was working at b1/alasad.did not have to travel off base for work.it was very boring.but in the contracting busisness you never know what will happen.if you work and stay on a base all of the time nothing probably will happen.but if you go-outside of the wire

-you can become a target.i learned alot about the lifestyle of contracting while in iraq.kind of a goldminer mentality.make $100k+ a year-then spend it on ladies and booze on r&r.just make sure you know what kind of work you will be doing-and where you will be doing it.

I was recently in Kabul doing work for the Army and other agencies. PM me which AO you'll be in, and I'll be able to give you a good idea.

A surprisingly large amount of the members here work over there as military and civilians.

Big question to ask employer: does your base or unit follow the new General Article 1, or the old one?:mrgreen:

Big question to ask employer: does your base or unit follow the new General Article 1, or the old one?:mrgreen:

The contractor and its employees will be bound to adhere to General Order 1, and any supplements or any successor order.

By the contract, sounds like we will follow the latest GA1.

Not sure where the basing will be yet, contract covers a fair bit of country.

I have been/will be talking via PM on anything sensitive, I am not military personnel but do understand your concern Alex.