HybridZ

Flywheel bolts, need to know size

cockerstar

Hey guys,

After searching here and the rest of the web, as well as my haynes manuals, I think it's time for a thread.

I have the original engine rebuilt and sitting on the stand waiting to go in, but I don't have the bolts to install my flywheel. I'm also lacking the bolts to install my pressure plate. I haven't been able to find any replacements so I'm ready to go hunting for them outside of their intended purpose. This is the only thing keeping the engine out of my car!

I know that they will need to have a high tensile strength, and I have heard not to use anything under a grade 10.6 in a thread discussing an sr swap.

Any input on this strength requirement?

Does anyone know the size of the bolts I'm looking for?

Hopefully I'll be able to order some from my local fastener store. They haven't let me down yet, and I've come in with some pretty oddball requests before ;)

If not it looks like I'm going to have to yank them from one of my parts cars, but I'd like to avoid dropping the exhaust and tranny if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!

Can't tell you the size as I'm at the office. Don't buy generic bolts from the local hardware supplier! Use new bolts. Their cheap and critical too. Your local Nissan dealer should have these available immediately or in a couple of days. They can also be purchased online from http://www.courtesyparts.com, eBay, etc. The part number is 12315-U6000. Cost should be around $6-$7 each and worth every penny! Install these and torque to spec. Using a drift, smack the crap out of each bolt head, retorque to spec. Don't forget to use BLUE loctite (allows for easier removal later than using red loctite).

This is assuming you're working on a L24, L26 or L28 S30 engine.

Truthfully, the using stock, OEM parts for bolts and nuts is silly. Get good quality fasteners and you will be fine. ACE, Lowes, Home Depot, TSC, etc., DO NOT HAVE quality fasteners. Try Fastnal, Mcmaster-Carr, or Granger.

I'll agree only to a point. I do use quality hardware purchased from a reputable supplier for many uses (mostly s/s). In very specific applications where high load forces, such as the flywheel, are encountered I use OEM, ARP or equivalent hardware. Having a flywheel back off because you used bolts and flat washers is not something I would find appealing. We're only talking about $40. That's cheap insurance considering the cost of everything else possibly damaged.

Mark, I completely agree with you on the sentiment of only using quality pieces for a high load application like this. The flywheel is definitely a not a place to have something go wrong, both from a cost standpoint and a safety standpoint.

I'm planning on getting them from a local fastener specific store, M&M bolt. There isn't any way I'll be buying them if they aren't properly rated ;)

I've found a set of NOS on ebay, but they're $38+shipping. That's approaching $7 per bolt, which to me, seems completely ridiculous. I'll give my nissan dealership a visit if I can't find proper replacements, but I'm not really banking on them being any cheaper that what's on ebay. If it comes down to it I'll end up tossing the starter back on my parts car, doing a compression check, and then pulling the engine/tranny for the bolts I need. It will give me a chance to part it out :)

Come to think of it, I haven't actually tried starting that engine, maybe I'll be in for a surprise...

Thanks brokebolt! Hopefully your username doesn't become extremely ironic in the near future :D

I'm going to see what I can come up with in M12 X 1 x 18. Does anyone know if the flywheel to crank bolts and the pressure plate to flywheel bolts are the same?