HybridZ

Runs poorly when "low" on fuel...

Well, I got my car running a while ago, and the car runs beautifully right after I fill it up with gas (the gauge reads at about 7/8's of a tank when completely full), but when I let it get low on fuel (7/16's of a tank and lower) it starts running horribly, as in it idles really rough, and doesn't make any power. Once I let it get down to just over half a tank, and when I was cruising, it started to die, when I hit the gas, the revs went lower, until I just let it idle for a little bit, then it came around (which, to me, sounds like it's running out of gas...) And it idled real rough at that stop light, and when I tried to accelerate, it popped out of the intake, which also leads me to believe its running out of fuel/running lean...

So my question is, what, in your opinions, would cause my car to do that?

And yes, I did search, but I couldn't find anything...

Thanks!

We need to know what year car. Lets see if i can get this one. First replace the fuel filters. If that doesnt fix it Im going to say that your fuel pick up tube in your fuel take has rusted and has a hole in it. So that when your fuel is full it covers the hole no problem and just sucks fuel. but when its low it sucks air. If your FI this means low fuel pressure and your going to be injecting air instead of gas. To get to that you have to drop your fuel tank and take out the fuel sender. If its rusted you will be able to see it. I hope that helps

Holy crap, I was in a hurry when I posted that, and forgot to mention what car I have :P

Well, my car is a N/A '79 280ZX. I've got a new Z32 fuel filter in it. Does my car have a filter before the pump, also? I'm not sure... if it does, then I haven't replaced that one yet.

And I can't get to the pickup tube from the access hole in the car?

Thanks for the quick responses!