HybridZ

R180 to a R200 LSD

80LS1T

Ok I am going to be putting in a LT1 into my 80' 280ZX. I keep reading that the R200 is much stronger than the R180 so i figure I'll put in a R200 LSD and be done with it. What I want to know is are the 1/2 shafts the same from the R180 to the R200. Basically what do i need to do the swap??? :confused:bonk.gif

Thanks a lot guys! :D:D:D

Yet another Z guy from around here! Cool 2thumbs.gif ! Where are you located? What LSD are you going with? If it's the '87-'89 R200 LSD, I have to say good luck trying to find one, and if you do find one, they are going for ~$550 and up. If memory serves me right, you can't use the R180 half shafts for the R200 diff.. You need ones from a R200. You have two options, CV's or U-joints. Do a search in this forum and you will come up with all you need to know to perform the swap.

!M!

I am not sure which one I am going to use yet. I was looking at the one in the MSA catalog. Yeah it's like $800, buts is new :eek:

Oh and I live in a little town called Navarino. It's about 25 minutes west of Green Bay. What year of car do you have??? :confused:rockon.gif

Navarino? Hmmm, never heard of it. I have a '73 that's getting a lot of cool, new suspension stuff right now (if I can ever get my last damn strut cartridge out!!) and hopefully soon, it will have a '87 Turbo Buick V-6 nestled in it's engine bay :Drockon.gif . Good luck with your LSD. Feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime to chat or whatever cheers.gif .

!M!

Reider Racing has one in their catalog and they say it's $525 which is WAY cheaper than any one else, but they have had supplier difficulties AND it's only for 12mm ring gear bolts. I'm on the backorder list for one :rolleyes: but who knows how long that will be. I haven't decided if I am going to get a later model r200 with 12mm bolts or if I'm going to have sleeves made for my 10mm r200 that's already paid for. :D

So is the one in the MSA catalog any good or are you just buying the other one because it is cheaper???

Hey Mat73GNZ, I know what you are going through on those strut cartriges! I just put in a new suspension in my 80' 280ZX. All new struts, springs, urethan bushings, and bigger sway bars. You need like a 2" wrench to get that nut off the top! I think its actually metric though, something like 48mm or 49mm! Have fun! 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif:D