HybridZ

I finally got a scope of my own

mobythevan

What's the model number? That looks like a really nice scope. Menu driven, with triggering options out the wazoo. My dual-trace 20Mhz will do anything megasquirt or any car could ever need, but the ones with auto-ranging and single-event capture make life a lot easier.

The model number is 54504A. Those portable scopes look nice for that price. My friend has a little portable Tektronix scope that we use when we are out and about. It is about one third the size of a laptop. It is a pain to borrow it and worry about breaking something.

That really IS a nice scope, 50Mhz one-shot-capture is quite good. I'd certainly quality it as a fully portable scope. Anything easily carried with one hand and small enough to rest on a car seat/roof/hood/etc is plenty portable. Even the nice new digital scopes are about the same size, just not as deep, since they don't need a CRT. If you were referring to the hand-held scopes when you talked about 'portable' then yea, I find those too easy to knock over, breaking them is a worry.

I'd recommend getting a good set of 100Mhz or better probes, in a couple of different styles. The light weight kind with a little extending hook on the end that lets you grab the leg of a resistor or an IC on a circuit board is quite useful, if a little delicate. Also, be careful with ground loops, I know a couple people who have blown things up (including scopes) because of bad grounds in equipment. They now either use power cords with the ground lead cut off or 3 to 2 prong adapters.

What about this scope? Seems decent for the price, but I'm no expert in scopes.

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=28

10MS/s is a pretty low sampling rate. The ecffective bandwidth of that scope is probably around 2.5MHz. Usable bandwidth is probably around 1MHz. Good for automotive stuff, and most Megasquirt work (except checking the CPU clock).

Moby, that HP scope is more than adequate, and HP is high quality stuff. They can be non-intuitive to use (as compared to Tek), but once you figure it out, you will be good to go.

I had to turn in all of my demo scopes after I left my job at Lecroy.

Now I use (freebie): http://www.softdsp.com/product/sds200a_01.htm

Pete