HybridZ

late VG30ET + Fidanza = LONG BOLTS?!

Careless

anyone know which flywheel bolts to use? I can't find the ARP number as I don't have the internet at home and can't do a thorough search. I measured the stock VG30ET bolts at 24mm, and the VG33 bolts at 17mm (parts guy measured the ones in stock).

I think I need them somewhere between 17 and 19 mm anyways, so I ordered the VG33 ones.

I hope they's ok. 47 Bucks :(

ARP carries pressure plate bolts in their "pro" series that are a UHL of just over 20mm, somewhere in between 20 and 21mm shank + thread.

they are 10 x 1.0 fine thread.

I'll be getting the VG33 bolts tonight, and they seem like they would work. if there is a thread or 2 less of engagement than the standard bolts, I will not be concerned.

I'll friggen JB WELD Those bolts in there if it gotta!!!! LOL (just kidding)

Summuna Onion!

the VG33 bolts were waaay too short. I brought my flywheel with me to the dealership. The ordered two of the wrong bolts anyways, of which were the ones I currently have that are too long. the VG33 bolts only get about 3 threads out the back of the flywheel.

Is it possible that the two VG30ET Turbo trans models came with different flywheel bosses? 240 vs. 250mm clutch packs = different flywheel bolt lengths??

:-|

LESSON LEARNED

check threads for left over thread locker.

By chance, the two bolt holes that I threaded into just to test were packed with old threadlocker.

I took an old bolt and cut slits into it and threaded it back and forth with a power-screwdriver (low power @ 4v), and worked it in and out with some brake clean (whipe your main seal thoroughly if your brake clean is chlorinated).

The bolts then completely threaded through. There was so much thread locker coming out that it felt like the bolts bottomed out, but they didnt.

The flywheel is not balanced but I don't have the time to do that now, seeing as everyone around my hood doesn't balance stuff like this or tell me it's "not worth it", which is basically "nah, i dont wanna touch your shiney flywheel".

I can't send it out, it will take too long. I'll cross my fingers that fidanza is under 8-10 grams imbalance.

As for the bolts, the stockers were fine. Torqued them to 80 ftlbs with some red loctite. The small pack of green loctite gel that was supplied was definately not sufficient enough for even one bolt. they were probably for the dowel pins. Go figure!

Man I feel like an idiot. I could have had the car running! :fmad:

V33 bolts are roughly 17mm

VG30ET Z31 bolts are roughly 24mm

VG30DETT Z32 bolts are rouhgly 27mm

All are measured as UHL (under head length)

Thanks for keeping me company in the thread, 260DET :D

• 3 months later...

FALSE ALARM

the bolts were fine. I ran a rethreader through the entire bolt hole and found that since they were fine thread, the thread locker was very very thick and encrusted inside the bolt hole. I ended up heating it up with a heat gun and go back and forth with an old flywheel bolt that I had cut at an angle with slits into a sort of cleaner, as the rethreader wasn't doing much.

you can order some stock bolts for the exact car your engine came from and use those.

I felt kinda stupid.