HybridZ

Is this an LSD?

CU Zcar

lsd.jpg

I got this from a junkyard 1988 300ZX Turbo, it has the finned aluminum cover on the back but I read once that some non-LSD's came with this cover as well (though I've also read that the cover is a positive ID for an LSD rearend). I couldn't test if both wheels turn in the same direction because the yard had already sold one of the axles. I'm probably worrying too much but wanted to know if anyone could positively say this was/was not LSD before I took my axles out to test. I can say that it does not look like this illustration out of my manual:

diff.gif

Hi was the 88 it came out of a white Spl edition?

I think it could have been. I have three carriers for a R200, a nissan comp LSD, a plain jane open one, and a viscous LSD out of a 90 or newer Z. That carrier in the picture looks a lot like the viscous one I have. I would be careful about the length of the axle stubs that go into the carrier. One is a fair amount longer than the other. I think I still have some pics of the needed stubs along with the older ones let me know if you want them emailed to you. Good luck

Don

The ring gear carrier is different than the one I have that is also out of a 88 ZXT. Look through the axle holes and see if you can see straight through and out the other side. I can put a broom handle clear through mine. My best guess is that it is a LSD and Nissan had more than one supplier for the carriers. Does the finned cover have a tag that says viscous on it?

No, it was out of a burgundy car and no white rims like the special editions that had viscous diffs. A reply on zcar.com pointed me to another site with a pic of a clutch LSD vs. the viscous and you're right, mine looks like a damn viscous one. It didn't have a "viscous" tag on it either, I'm pissed! Nothing ever works out like you read it online I guess. I'm going to take it back probably, my whole reasoning was that this would be the near bolt-in with a clutch pack type, I don't want to spend any more on this part of the project. Apparently I've already spent more than I should have, but I was dumb not to barter. Maybe I'll go with a Phantom Grip. [sigh]

" A reply on zcar.com pointed me to another site with a pic of a clutch LSD vs. the viscous"

I'd appreciate the link to that picture, I get that question all the time. Don't give up on your pursuit of a decent used one. It is the MOST misdescribed part in Z land IMO.

FWIW, I've had great luck with the 5 or 6 used clutch type LSD's I've come across over the years. I usually pounced on lower mileage automatic cars. Only one was truly trashed and went on to live as a full rebuilt in E. Radatz racecar. I've had mine in for a number of years now and still enjoying fine function. My dad's enjoying his and the other ones are mostly installed but see infrequent use in some cars that are more frequently modified than driven ;)

One local racer has his shimmed so tight it's almost a welded unit and has served him well for a few years now. And he sees almost every event in a very torquey Xtreme hybridz, enough to swap Ujoints after every 2-3 autox sessions.

http://home.flash.net/~joeao/greg/zcar.html

That's the guy's main site, the "R200 differential" link towards the bottom has various pictures:

http://home.flash.net/~joeao/greg/lsdpics/

"lsdinside.jpg" vs. "viscousinside.jpg" and "viscousgears.jpg" are the ones you're interested in, and perhaps the shaft comparisons which I assume demonstrate why you can't use normal shafts in a viscous unit. But anyway, the clutch type pic looks nothing like mine and the viscous pic looks exactly like mine, at least from the angle I took my picture from. Hope this can help some others :D

As for me, gotta get the $ back and get back to the search.

what you have in your pic is a visc.... the hand drawn pic is and open or non lsd diff the clutch type is the one in the link labled clutch.... you cannot really see any gears inside the clutch one like you can a visc diff sorry id take it back rockon.gif