HybridZ

Chevy colorado engine in a Z??

ZQ8Dude

I did a quick search and found that people have discussed the 4.2 trailblazer engine, but not the I5.

In trucks people have dipped into 12s with these engines. Plus they have a pretty unique sound.

Does anyone think this engine would be able to fit under the stock hood a 240/260z??

whats your opinion??

I did a quick search and found that people have discussed the 4.2 trailblazer engine, but not the I5.

In trucks people have dipped into 12s with these engines. Plus they have a pretty unique sound.

Does anyone think this engine would be able to fit under the stock hood a 240/260z??

whats your opinion??

anything is possible you just have to put your mind to it. you can do it. and im pretty sure it would fit.

I don't know what would be more of a fitment issue, height or length. I'd imagine a 3.5 liter inline 5 would be just as long as the 2.8 inline 6.

But anything is possible, really.

well i'd think height is the issue. I found later in the 4.2 thread a picture of a 6cyl mocked up in the engine bay:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131920&page=5

• 7 months later...

I'd really like to see either the 6 or the 5 from Chevy in a Z, they seem to be really under-rated motors. The height could definately be an issue, how ever could you lay the motor over at an angle? I'm sure if you stood up a bunch of modern six's they'd sit up just as high.

As for the smaller I5's, the Volvo seems like it could be fun, but isn't it an open deck motor?

The Audi 20V motor would be sweet, looking around parts don't even fetch Audi prices any more.... and that sound...

Not sure about the Volvo, I'm just really getting back into all this stuff after about 10 years. I've got mucho homework to do. The thought of around 400hp from a 5 cylinder is exciting, regardless. With the GM 5 banger, a person might be able to configure some sort of dry sump setup, and fabricate a cowl induction hood for fix the problem up top. The one shortfall to the GM engine, is there are, or at least were, little to no real after market options for it.

By the way, where did you find the info on the Audi 20v?

Not sure about the Volvo, I'm just really getting back into all this stuff after about 10 years. I've got mucho homework to do. The thought of around 400hp from a 5 cylinder is exciting, regardless. With the GM 5 banger, a person might be able to configure some sort of dry sump setup, and fabricate a cowl induction hood for fix the problem up top. The one shortfall to the GM engine, is there are, or at least were, little to no real after market options for it.

By the way, where did you find the info on the Audi 20v?

Well there still is little to no aftermarket for the 5banger. However, there is one crucial piece of aftermarket that is available. Trick performance offers full turbo kits for the 5cylinder. And Hptuners offers the appropriate software for tuning.

I'd love to see a dry sump setup figured out. Oil starvation is somewhat of a problem when people try to autox the trucks.

Plus, depending on your car's setup a 3.7 might be more then enough. 242hp/242tq is a pretty decent even in the trucks.

The only problem i see is that on the 4.2L 6cyl thread it looked like the oil pan sits way too low. I would imagine the 5cyl would have the same problem.

ZQ8Dude, I seem to recall conversing with you on the Colorado Fans site, until I traded mine a couple years ago. My id there was Jacksonwolf.

My biggest gripe about the truck then was lack of after market for it. I honestly think that the companies that are willing to make a gamble on it right now, will do quite well when the economy turns around. I had a Z71, and my wife had a Trailblazer. The oil pan on it seemed like it was a bit deeper than the Colorado, but I never really put much thought into it.

MAG58, I found that site after I posted that. I also looked into Volvo go fast goodies. With trying to do this project without catching to much flack from my wife on this project, I don't think I'm going to be able to pull off a turbo 5 cylinder swap. Never know though, it might still happen.