HybridZ

Painting engine bay....questions

Hey guys, getting ready to paint an engine bay with all the lines, master cyliner, and most all other accessories in place. Of course the engine and tranny are out right now. My question is, for you guys that left your brake/clutch hard lines in, how did you paint around the lines? I think we will be Por-15ing some light rust spots and repainting the whole engine bay the original brown color. Will we need to grind off all the paint or can we give it a 180 grit sanding by hand and primer and paint? Thanks guys!

Your best friend, my friend, is aluminum foil. Wrap everything you don't want to paint, paint, then remove the foil. Easy as 1 2 3. As far as painting it professionally...I can't answer that. I used a good cleaner on the old paint and used a rattle can with aluminum-flake high temp paint. It's a satin finish. So far it has held up well for about 6 years.

Rattlecan and tinfoil.

87171621_aJu6k-L.jpg

87171628_w6Pee-L.jpg

Your best friend, my friend, is aluminum foil. Wrap everything you don't want to paint, paint, then remove the foil. Easy as 1 2 3. As far as painting it professionally...I can't answer that. I used a good cleaner on the old paint and used a rattle can with aluminum-flake high temp paint. It's a satin finish. So far it has held up well for about 6 years.

Rattlecan and tinfoil.

87171621_aJu6k-L.jpg

87171628_w6Pee-L.jpg

Great tip Dave,

I am getting ready to paint my 510 engine bay for a VG30 swap so this will come in handy

My_VG30_Engine_Swap_11-01-08_009.jpg

DOH!

I recently rattle canned my engine bay that was in the same shape, but I taped everything off with plastic and masking tape. The foil is a great idea!

Also, laying down some primer of the same brand as your paint is definitely worth the extra $10 it's going to cost you. Makes the final product much more durable and better looking in the long run.

Dang cygnus, your engine bay looks absolutely tits. Did the paint crack on those little pliable wire holding "fingers" when you moved them?