HybridZ

clutch pedal repair

ottoauto

I've searched for other posts on this and haven't found anything, maybe because im the only idiot who hasn't fixed this on a z yet. I spoke to oliver at z specialties when i was having problems shifting my transmission.once my 5-speed was in. it didn't seem to completely disengage when shifting, and he pointed me towards my clutch pedal which is worn out and needs to be fixed. the hole for the pin where the clutch master rod attatches to the pedal is worn and elongated. I would like to take it to oliver and let him do it to help his business considering he pointed me right towards the problem but i have a welder and a drill press and im pretty far away from him. im wondering if this is a really rough science or if the hole must be exact. I'm willing to take pictures of it if anyone is interested but im assuming that its something everyone has delt with. Thanks

Ottoauto;

You mentioned "once I put the 5 speed in". Sounds like you may have done some upgrades/part swapping. I believe there are differant lenghts of relaese sleeves/release bearings. Is there a chance you installed one of the wrong lenght?

Anyone else care to comment?

Mike

:)

I just did the same swap two weeks ago, and ran into a similar issue.

Im my case it was not the pedal assembly, but the clevis pin. It had

major wear on points it came into contact with the pedal and the clevis.

A new pin and squeezing the clevis ears together to correct 32 plus years

of spread helped alot. But that was not the end of it. The fluid was very

low and very nasty.

Prior to the swap I did not have any issues, but I attribute that to having

a broken in friction disk (although it looked new wen I took it out, it still had readable printing on the friction material).

So even with all the correct parts, a bit of wear on the pedal assembly,

a fresh clutch disk and overdue maintenance, can be a bad combination.

I have considered both of these things... believe me. i first installed the transmission with the wrong collar and it was a pain in the ass. second, i have already removed the pedal and inspected both the pin and the pedal. the pedal hole looked elongated and worn, and the pin appeared to be just fine.

I had that problem back in the day on my 240z... it was cured by swapping in a clutch master from a 280z parts car that I had. The pedal travel must have been different.

Careless, I have a small strip of copper that I use as a spoon, like the penny. ITs cool because I can "reach" into pipes etc.

Evan