HybridZ

Tires rubbing question

I just got back from Louisiana with a set of 15" Rota Rb's that 260Zturbo had on his Z before he got the 17" RB-Rs. He was running spacers on the 15s, but said it was mostly for aesthetic purposes. [so I didnt take them with me] I went to the shop today to put them on, and drove the car home. It felt fine on the drive over but I started smelling burnt rubber. I parked it at my house which is about 2 miles away from the shop, and got down and saw that the front tires are rubbing on the spring perch of my front struts. The tires are 225 yokohamas so they are hanging over the wheel. The rim has plenty of clearance.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks I did structural damage to the tire or if they are fine. It didnt take too much material off. Should I throw my old wheels back on the front and wait for the spacers?

You did not say what model of Yokohamas these are but several models in that size (225) have curb or scuff guards on them, what that is is a thick solid piece of rubber right at the bead that will sacrifice itself in order to save your expensive rims from getting curb rash. Any way if you have scuff guards on these tires then it looks like you just removed them and the tire would still be sound for typical street driving, if you do not see a scuff guard on the other side of the tires then you most likely have done enough damage to the tires structure to cause them to be unsafe at best.

If you have any doubt about the structural integrity of the tires after removal and examination remember tires are cheap, cars and hospitals are not, so be realistic and safe.

Dragonfly

I just noticed that you are from Fayetteville... if you have any intention of driving any of the two lane twisties outside of town I would recommend that you just go ahead and replace the tires. A little bit of fun on some of those curves could put those damaged tires past their breaking point and it will be to late when you realize it, then everyone else will have to deal with the local cops being even worse than they already are.

Dragonfly

I didnt move the car at all, I put the old wheels on the front and Im just waiting for the spacers. My old tires were Yoko AVES100s [same tires as these], they had a gash in the same place and they were fine. I am pretty sure it is a rash guard. There wasn't too much material taken off so Im pretty sure it was alright, it was just a mile or two.